close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

9.9 Mercury question

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Chapy, Jun 11, 2004.

1. I recently bought a new Triton 163 sport 16ft. aluminum boat, with a 9.9 4-stroke Mercury.I really like the boat,the layout,stability,& overall fishability
    (not sure if thats a word but you know what I mean).I do have some concerns about the motor though.The book said to not exceed 2000 rpms for the first hour and vary the throttle. Then increase to 3000 for the next three hours, after the first hour I discovered that 2100 was top end, the book says it should tach between 4500 & 5500 rpms at full throttle.I took it back to the dealer & was told nothing was wrong, when I told them about the book specs they said they would look at it.A couple days latter when I picked it up they said they changed the tach settings.It now reads 1200 at idle & 4100 top end.The speedometer doe's not work, they said it was a heavy boat
    & may not run fast enough for the speedometer to regester.The next time out I took my GPS & clocked it at 6.4 mph.My question is am I expecting to much or am I not getting top performance.If this is all she has I'll live with it but I do expect the best the motor is capable of. Thanks Chapy

2. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

It may be propped wrong. I would guess you should be able to get at least 10-12 mph. My 16 foot BassTracker Pro16 is doing 31 mph (on a gps) with a 35hp merc. Being aluminum I wouldn't expect that boat to be that heavy, allthough with a small motor you will notice that any extra weight will effect the boats performance. Good luck.

3. I don't think 1200 is right for Idle. should be more like 600. I have a 16 ft. with a 9.9 on it and it runs anywere from 9 to 14 mph depends on the load I have in it.

4. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

I see that hull weighs 788 lbs. Thats a lot to push with a 9.9 Maybe a prop change would give you a little more. Raider<><>

5. Hi - I bought a 16 ft Grumman (aluminum) last year with a 9.9 Evinrude (the boat is set up as a "bass boat", pedastal seating, front deck w/ trolling motor, 2 batterys...etc. and is a modified v hull, I think its called), and according to the Humminbird it ran about 7 - 7.5 mph with two big adults and quite a bit of gear. Had to replace Evinrude with a '03 9.9 hp Yamaha 4 stroke HIGH THRUST ( which has a huge prop and more tork I believe, used alot on pontoons to push a fair amount of weight ) and now can run up to 8.5 mph. I was alittle disapointed/surprised with the speed also when I first got the boat, but it is pushing quit a bit, even as aluminum it is a rather stout boat and I'm not what you say, a petite person! But with the Yamaha I think it would push or tow about anything. The boat it self is rated for 50 hp. Hope this helps out.

6. Thanks for the replys guys.I did'nt mention in my original post the motor has a bigfoot prop, so it probably would'nt help to change that.Your right Raider the hull weighs 788lbs.I guess when you add the motor, gas, 2-batterys, a couple men & there gear that would be a lot to push.So as I said before I'll live with it. I'm more into fishing than speed anyway, & who knows maybe someday I can talk the wife into a bigger motor.Thanks again for your help
    Chapy