Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
deleted
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
USMCG and I hit the water around 7 this morning. Believe it or not, there was a flow not too far to the east of us which was 50 cfs over median flow. I had not done this stretch in ten years, and that trip was the reason. No bites! Not a tap!

Either the river has gotten better, or I have because outside of a couple of lulls, we had steady action all the way. If one of us got cold, the other picked up the slack. I'd guess we had close to 50 fish (maybe more) with Larry being close to 30.

Larry claimed the biggest at 16 (although I didn't see it), and probably had a couple 15s thrown in. I had one fifteen and a few nice fat 13-14s. It was one of those days where you hook a 10-12 inch fish and continue your conversation as you boat and release it. We also saw many large schools of chubby baitfish.

The water was green/olive stain with 2-3 feet visibility and was pleasantly cool. We gave some tubes and cranks a try and caught a couple on those. Everything else was on spinnerbaits. We were throwing pretty standard white ones in the morning, and then Larry started outcatching me pretty strongly. He had switched to one with a blue tint. Anyone that fishes with me knows that I am the guy who says, "I think I've got one of those." I put a similar one on, and got right back in the mix.

This stretch had lots of places where the flow went from shallow, to deep drops with steady current. If there was a combination of rock and wood (and there always was at least one or the other), you caught fish. It was crack for drive-by spinnerbait fishermen.

Beautiful weather and scenery on a very fishy stretch of river! We saw eagles, osprey, hawks, etc. I will definitely be back! Larry took some pictures if he chimes in.

Shwookie, you know what I'm talking about...:D

·
SOT Yak Angler
177 Posts
You go with the Marine and kill them (I mean catch and release). I go with you and I get zero fish. Go figure. Glad you guys had a good one though. I will try to hit the water sometime during the week my weekends look grim for the next two weeks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts