Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Discussion in 'Ohio River Fishing Reports' started by mrfishohio, Oct 1, 2004.

1. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Hit the river yesterday. Hard to get shad, caught a 10" bluecat on a skipjack rig. Caught 2-3 drums, one channelcat, one bluecat, one flathead. None of the cats were over 9-10#, maybe 6-8 ?
  2. mrfishohio

River shows it's trace...

3. Nice job on the fish Jim :) Good to see you got out.daryl
  4. Baitkiller

Baitkiller Baitkiller

Thanks for the photos and pretty Flathead :D !

Mrfishohio, please explain to me what a skipjack rig consists of.

I did get out on the river near East Liverpool Wed from 5 PM till 10 PM. 6 Flatheads and 3 Channels all on Shad heads. The bite was soft and 4 of the six Flats were hooked on a stinger hook that was used.

I've been getting the Shad at local lake spillways before hitting the river. I never have tried on the Ohio.

"Good Hunting Guys"
  5. mrfishohio

Killer, a skipjack rig can be any of several types. One is a commercially availible rig called a sabiki rig. Usually they are too long to handle easily (6') so you can shorten them to about 3 or 4' long. They have a series of small "flies" on them on 3" drops, and a snap on the end, I usually put a small 1/4 oz jig & 2" white curlytail on that. A variation is to add a small spoon vs. the jig. Another skipjack rig that works well is to tie a small barrel swivel at the beginning then 3ea. 1/8 oz jigs about 10-12" apart & then a 1/4 oz on the bottom, put 2" white culy tails on the jigs. The heavier weight on the bottom helps to keep it from tangling up on a cast. I use heavier line on the rigs, at least 17# and often 20# test. Lighter line will get tangled quicky as the skips do their summersaults & gyrations in the water & on the ground. I know I have a few pictures somewhere, I'll look for them.
  6. mrfishohio

Okay, here's a rig, with a jig on it, the jig got hit by a WB and a fly with a wiper ! :rolleyes:
    The shad was spit up by the wiper. :eek:
  7. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic the package.

Attached Files:

8. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Glad to see you getting out agin Jim, I hope we can get together for a late fall Bluecat trip.
  9. i got shad wed in a creek with a big shallow flat cought them in 4to 6 feet of water on the up current side of the flat may have changed by now
  10. mrfishohio

That's one made from 1/8 oz better for the bigger skips.
  11. mrfishohio

Some variations with spoons, etc. ( Not the topwater & striper jigs..... ;) )
  12. this is exactly why i,m hooked on old man river.let hear some more.
  13. When I lived out by Racine dam we caught them fishing for white bass all the time. Big ones too. 3 inch white curly tail on a 1/4 ounce plain jig. The bad part was they die very quick and i would never have my catfish/striper setups when we caught them. They would bite usualy when it was sunny and the water wasn't stained. I never could catch any on a sabki rig. I tried and tried but would only catch them when I didn't have a cooler and ice.