9-3-08 another great night at the lmr!!! WOW

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by fishymcgoo, Sep 4, 2008.

1. fishymcgoo

fishymcgoo I DIDN'T SEE THE SIGN

caught a bunch 10-15 lbs. my buddy caught this whale!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cantsleep

cantsleep 3rd shift blues

It's a black crappie.:)

Nice fish. Southern part of the river?

3. fishymcgoo

no its a white crappie. and yes the southern part of the river. GREAT place to fish!
    cant wait till it cools down and the smallies fire up

4. cantsleep

cantsleep 3rd shift blues

Yeah, I couldnt see that fish coming out of the portion of the LMR I fish.
    I'm looking forward to some cooler temps myself.

5. fishymcgoo

the crazy thing is the deepest hole where i am fishing is only about 5-6 feet.

6. HUGE FISH!!! i havent caught one out of the lmr anywhere close to that one. i bet that fish is 40lbs. you must have a great spot!

7. That's the biggest river cat I've ever seen. Let me ask a dumb question. I usually hold catfish by the belly, slipping my thumb and fingers under the spiked fins. Everytime I've stuck my thumb in a cat's mouth, I've regretted it, but most photos I see show people with four fingers in the mouth. Heck, "noodlers" stick their whole hand in there. It this the way most of you handle them?

8. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Awsome fish man!

River Anglin, just make sure you hold them firmly inside the mouth with your fingers and the thumb outside the mouth. Not the other way, thumbin'em typically ends bad :D

9. You've probably had your hand tore up by channels, as just about every catfisherman has. Flatheads are a lot more docile. I almost never stick my fingers into a channel's mouth.

10. fishymcgoo

shovels are no problem but with channels i use a firm grip and grab them on top right behind the top fin and kind of tilt them a little bit upside down. it takes all the fight out of them and they can still be released unharmed or put on a stringer and into the frying pan. however i like many others have thumbed a big channel and paid the price:) but i will take a roughed up hand over not catching any fish!

11. Got it... don't thumb the channels! Thanks for letting me hijack your thread :)

12. any tips you might be kind enough to give me on where i can find a few of these big cats i would greatly appreciate. if you would rather pm thats cool.

13. fishymcgoo

other than what i have already posted my best advice would be just fish alot and figure out what works and what dont. just keep trying things till they work and then sometimes it still wont work. it also helps to have a good honey hole. but a word of advice loose lips sink ships:)

14. NIce flattie. How are you keeping the gar off your bait. That river is full of those toothy critters.

15. fishymcgoo

you are right about the gar. things are everywhere! i just try to use big bait that stays on the hook good. i had a big piece of cut bait, and i mean huge, on the hook and it sat on the bottom for about a half hour and something would tighten up my line for just a second and then stop so i reel in and you could see teeth marks on the cut bait where the gar were chewing on it.