Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out for a couple hours last night to the GMR. I put the yak in the water around 4:30 and fished till dark. I've not been out on the river since before the rain a few days ago. The water level is up about a foot and visibility was less than a foot. Water temps are in the low to mid 60's. I couldn't find any fish holding on wood cover or even a rocky shoreline that usually hold some fish. I tried fishing a buzzbait, Flukes, a new paddle tail swim bait I've been working on and spinnerbaits. I fished about a 1/4 mile long deep pool and didn't see any action for about the first hour. As I was nearing the tail end of the pool I noticed a descent sized fish busting bait on the surface in some small riffles. These rapids separate and long deep pool then drop to about 14 feet of water and another deep pool. I ended up catching 4 smallies off that one small riffle including a 15 and 16 incher on consecutive casts and two dinks. All fish were caught on a 1/2 ounce chartreuse double willow bladed spinnerbait. These fish must be in a different mode now. They didn't fight like smallies. They all felt like channel cats and each time I had a hook up that s what I thought I had on the end of my line. They all kept their heads down and stayed on the bottom until I was able to get them to the side of the yak. No jumpers. They were all very strong fish and felt much larger than they really were. Even the small ones. Here are a couple pics.

One of the dinks

16 incher being released. I'm not sure what happened to the pic of this fish out of the water.

15 incher

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. On some of the better fish I try to get a release pic of the fish kicking off with a spray of water at the camera (phone). This is the closest I've been able to get yet. I like how he is starting to kick his tail to take off. I took it just a moment too soon though. I missed the splash!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts