close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

9/12-9/13

Discussion in 'Carp Discussions' started by RiverRat, Sep 13, 2005.

1. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Another awsome time on the local river!
    Yesterday, got off work(last day) at 7:15am and started fishing at 9:00am and ended at 2:30 with 11 carp landed and 4 lost to an unseen snag. Smallest fish was 12 lbs. biggest was 19.13 lbs.
    Used sweetcorn, roasted corn, method balls and sinking fish pellets as chum using catapults and spod to deliver on target.

Today i set rods out at 6:45am in the same spots as yesterday....left hand rod straight out at 25 yrds., right hand rod at a 45` angle, 25 yrds also(Dave if your reading this....i was aiming my right hand rod toward the point of that big gravel bar on the other side..i fished your HIGH water spot)I lost some BIG FISH both days...just cant stop them!!!

I had my rods in and started catapulting...with my normal 2 pouches of sweetcorn, 2 of pellets, 2 method balls and spodded 3 times with roasted corn over each rod, I normally will do this every 45mins. or so. I had finished my left hand rod and was chumming my right hand rod when it blasted off with a fast one toner on the Delkim alarm...(not 15 mins. after being cast out).....this action kept on til around 9:00am then it was on and off til 12/noon when i left.

Today ended with 14 fish landed and 6 lost to a few again unseen snags!!!
    Smallest fish, 8 lbs. biggest 21.9 lbs.
    I was running my normal everyday set up of 4500BTR's and 12' 2.75TC rods, 12 lb. main line.........This set up normally is enough to tame carp in the ole river, but this spot has loads of sunkin snags in 10-12' of water. Im fishing a flat next to this deeper water and they'll run on bottom straight into the snags. Im switching my set up for next trip...going with my Ohio river set ups of 13' 3.25TC, Big Pit reels and atleast 14-15 lb. test main lines.....normal set ups wont let me put enough side pressure to steer fish away from the snags or tighten the drags to tight..or i'll snap line.

Oh well looks like not any more fishing this week as i have to work 3 of my 4 days off...GEEZ US!!!

Well off to take a nap...gotta rest up for work tonight,

Scott

2. The Kernel

The Kernel Banned

Sounds like a great day out. Try some 50lb Power Pro and give 'em some stick...

3. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Thanks,
    Ive tried a lot of the "super braids"...i just dont like it for a main line..only leaders. Ive been using 80 lb. Stren braid and its awsome. I did nothing but snap lines on hook sets because of the no stretch. Also i dont like turning my drag down or using a softer rod...to stop snapping lines
    Also to first spool my reels with mono, then the braid, then use a shock leader...no thanks.
    With my #4 Ashima RD2 hooks i would end up pulling the hooks...no different than breaking line..same end result.

I need something tough..but will give some .
    15 lb. test Berkley big game should do the trick on the snag fishing quite nicely.

Scott

4. nice, nice, smallest fish 12 pounds, geez, this is something! I have never seen a bigger carp... yet!
    Have you ever fished at Clinton-Como Park? I am thinking to go there tonight for a while. I fished there twice, first time I lost 4 fish due to snag, second time - not even a bite. Let me know!

5. Wow sounds like fun,any pics?

6. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Greg, no ive never fished there...i try to stick to out of the way spots for the most part. Less anglers, more fish.
    Truck, yes i do..have'nt had a chance to upload any due to working my butt off.

Well time for a shower and head back to work.

Scott

7. it sounds like your having some decen tluck. I may be up in the Columbus area in a couple of weeks and may hit some of the various lakes.

8. The Kernel

The Kernel Banned

I went to the braid mountain (gander??) a non-believer.....and came back a complete convert. The clutch on the 4500'Bs is so refined you don't need to worry about hook pulls. I have had only one since switching to braid and that was when I was deliberately seeing how much pressure I could put on (it was a small fish)..Its the way to go with those biggies..

9. PAYARA

PAYARA THE ONE YOU LOVE TO HATE

braid is over-rated and over priced.only serves
    me in one application= shockleader!

IMO-its disadvantages greatly outweigh its advantages!

10. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Very well put Greg, i agree with ya 100%.

I use "super" braid only for hooklinks(80 lb. Stren) and feature finding..other than that its not worth the hassels...the Con's out weigh the Pro's big-time.

If it was the best line on the market i would of been using it for many years now..like i said ive tried most of them in all forms, for me personally co-polymer is the best all around line...i just need a few spare spools in higher pound test for these snag swims.

Good to hear from ya Greg....dont stay away too long man, i enjoy your posts.

Scott

11. Braid would actually do the opposite of shock leader. A shock leader provides cushion for the force exerted from the fish. Braid would provide none. I personally can see no advantage to using braid as a leader unless you wanted to use a smaller diameter line to present the bait/lure.

12. The Kernel

The Kernel Banned

Well, it sounds like you really know what you are doing losing all those fish....mono rules huh?!

Gregg, you will be able to afford some when you get a job mate...

13. PAYARA

PAYARA THE ONE YOU LOVE TO HATE

dang strait i can't afford it :D ,$30+ per reel + a backing...
    i'll stick with the nylon,thanks!

even if i had the dosh i wouldn't spool up with it,i don't
    like the feel of it while playing the fish,really the main
    reason i don't use it.other reasons i don't use braid......

damages fish
    hook pulls (even at range)
    cost is crazy
    its alot more visable than nylon
    looses its color
    hard to break off on snags (alot of fun at range i am sure)
    if it tangles or backlashes (alot more fun)

i could probably think of a few more reasons,but iam not going to ;)
    thats enough,i think.however if i ever do spool up with braid (can't
    think of a reason why i would though)it won't be some generic over-
    rated braid like Power Pro :p ,it will be Spiderwire (original),Stren (good
    braid),or Whiplash by Berkley. :B

IMO-this talk of Power Pro being the best braid is a bunch of horse dung!

PS-Scott,what do you know of buying tackle in Japan and China?buying
    it there i mean.

14. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Kernal...how many carp in Ohio over 30lbs. have you caught on that 50 lb test braid??

I have 3...all caught on 12 lb test. Gamakatsu G-power..rest my case.

I certainly wouldnt use braid in my fishing swims..too much cover...that junk breaks to easily on snags, no abrasion resistance.

Greg, give me a shout via PM..i have a connection in Japan that can hook you up...

Scott

15. The Kernel

The Kernel Banned

Its not junk...its vastly superior in most snaggy applications. It never breaks! It can be cut though..but that too is rare if you take other precautions. I've had it 'saw' through a Christmas tree on one occasion...mono would have lasted seconds.

Think of all the thirties you have lost that you could shout about?!

Its up to you...

16. I am not a full proponent of braid in all cases but like many others I see the benefit in certain situations. If I were doing my fishing for carp or catfish (tightline situations) then I would see much less benefit in the braid over mono. I just think that it is very narrow minded for someone to say that because they don't like or use braid that it is "junk". If so then the manufacturers of the product are rally pulling the wool over a lot of people's eyes.;)

I don't agree with most of your reasons for drawbacks to the braids.

damages fish - I don't see that one unless the fish wraps up int he stuff. If that is the situation then a mono/flouro leader would eliminate it.

hook pulls (even at range) - It does require a different discipline in using braids as one cannot tug for all he is worth and allow the stretch of the line to compensate. But once you get a feel for it I really don't see that as a factor.

cost is crazy - This one to me is the most inaccurate statement. I can buy a filler spool for about $12-14 versus mono at about half of that cost. The difference is that the braid will last several times longer than mono. There is no UV breakdown of the product like mono. I don't see why anyone would spend $30 to spool up a reel. A filler spool is all that is needed so if that does not fill up the reel spool then keep something else on as core filler on your spool. I know a lot of folks use the braid and only put half of the filler spool on so they get two or even three fills from a purchase.

its alot more visable than nylon - Once again if that is an issue use a leader. Many feel that the line sight factor on many fish is overrated. I am not convinced one way or the other in most conditions. I feel that the bigger issue is the feel and presentation.

looses its color - To me is really a non-factor. And wouldn't it losing color make it less visible?;)

hard to break off on snags (alot of fun at range i am sure) - This seems to be an advantage in my opinion.:confused: But once again if that is an issue tie a leader of slightly lighter test.

if it tangles or backlashes (alot more fun) - If you believe this one then I don't believe that you have ever used braid. I have saved my lines from many, many messes that my kids put on the spool or on up the line without needing to cut. I will say that I do have a few more times where I get loops or small tangles in the braid but they always work their way out. I am so often amazed at how easily it comes undone. The key is to not tug at the mess but to carefully work it free. With mono once one of these nests occurs you may as well instantly cut the line because the line memory will ruin that section with kinks. And by cutting the mono you will be buying more again sooner.;)

17. For those who want to try the braids I suggest that you do not view the Power Pro as an "overrated" braid compared to Spiderwire and Fireline. I use it on a couple of my baitcasters and in my opinion it is superior to the other two. It lays smoother and casts like a dream. I don't really know how it compares on spinning reels. It used to be more expensive but it is now pretty much in line with the rest of the braids in price.

I may try the Gamakatsu G-power that Scott mentioned if I come across it somewhere. I see it on line on a site but I did not find it on the Cabelas site. I was hoping to find it there so that I could use some of my Cabelas Visa points up.;)

18. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Brian, one must be UP on the Euro style of carping before ya try to disprove Gregs reasons.

One, brid itself DOES harm carp, its fine dia. gets under thier scales and cuts them off..this is part of thier protection...true Euro carpers protect the carp by using a few feet of either tubing or a very large dia. braid.45lb test leadcore is the most popular.
    See us real carpers care about the fish we pursue..reason for the large, soft mesh fish friendly nets, landing mats, weigh slings, ect.

Visibility...carp see far beyound most species abilitys.

One of the most popular shockleaders over in the UK is either Fox Armadillo(braid) and Kyston Quicksilver(braid)...i know MANY USA carpers that use 100 lb. test power pro as thier shockleader. So trust us it is a VERY good shockleader, just in our personal tests is JUNK as a mainline for our fishing styles....and NO i do not fish "tight lined" like you think...my line might be tight to the sinker..but thats for best bite detection....but they can easily pick up a bait and run with minimal resistance..its called a duel drag BAITRUNNER spinning reel.

Ever hear od WIND KNOTS...yup just like the old fly fisherman...you can get plenty of wind knots while casting long range with heavy leads...i guess i should explain what WE mean by distance fishing....100-150 yrds...not 50'...LMAO.

Ive had my share of tangles with super braid..yea really easy to untie....heck i couldnt even see where the loops where all going and i have 20/20 vision..and it sinches down on itself very easily.

Cost...well this might excape you too...i fish with BIG PIT syle reels..to give you an idea my Shimano holds 600 yrds of 12 lb test dia line.....yea rethink you cheap factor so more...maybe on a 200 yrds caps. reel it might be..but again this takes me back to...fill first with mono..then braid..blah...blah..blah.

If you fish braid in cover you have to step up to 50..80..even 100 lb test to handle the abrasion of the snags...and against rocks...ive yet to see a super braid that can last have as long as a half the size dia. mono line....rocks are the worst with braid.
    Open water lakes....heck i'd be fishing 10 lb. mono for that...specially for fish under 25 lbs..lol.
    I just cant see the reason to over power your rod and reel with lines of that size...i want the line to fit me and my gear...not have me adjust my style or losen drags...be careful not to rap the tip and cut my rod up.

If braid is so good then why fish 50 lb test break strength? Why not just use just use 20lbs. or less? OHHHH...thats because the super fine dia. wouldnt handle big fish, stand up to any snags, ect.thats why you have to go 10x the break strength to have a chance...funny!

Only way i would need a braid is if i fished a lot of lakes and fished near lilly pads..then the fine braid would cut through them..but again..its more hassel than its worth.

I do NOT fish for light biters..like Eyes, ice fishing, ect...there you need very sensetive lines......when a big carp takes the bait theres no mistaking it!

Its all good Greg, just keep doing what your doing and landing lots of carp...im with ya man.

Greg, You should stop down sometime and i'll take ya to some spots and give you a very good chance at a few 30+ river fish...you'll never fish "still" water again bro.
    Also the big Buff invite is always open to ya.
    Scott

19. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Brian,
    You will NOT find G-Power at either Cabelas or Bass Pro...its a hard to find locally line...i of course have many sources and buy in BULK...my fishing reels laugh at "filler" spools of line..
    The next best thing is McCoy Mean green.....i do believe Cabelas sells it..very top notch line, i highly recommend it too.

20. That is exactly what I meant by different fishing situations. You make a great argument for not using it for terminal rigging on carp.