Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got to spend some time on what is becoming my favorite stretch of the GMR last night. I asked my wife if she would be my shuttle service for the day and pick me up a few miles down stream. I loaded up the kayak and we had to load the girls in their car seat ( I guess people frown about leaving toddlers at home) and drive to the river. When we got there they asked if they could go out in the kayak with me so we paddled around for a few minutes before the fishing started.

I hooked up with probably a dozen or so smallies plus a couple bonus largemouths one saugeye and a rock bass. I started off fishing with a Rapala F11 in black and gold. I quickly picked up the saugeye within the first couple minutes. It was a hard fighting 14 incher. I then paddled up stream from my launch point before heading down stream to fish a section that I haven't fished in years. It is a nice pool with good depth including a couple 8 foot holes with some large boulders right in the middle of the river. I headed toward a promising looking fallen tree adjacent to deep water and made a cast parallel to it and about 2 inches away and started reeling when the floating minnow gets slammed hard by a quality fish. The smallie made several leaps at least a foot and a half out of the water. I got it to the side of my kayak and leaned over to lip him when he went nuts and broke my 10 pound NanoFil (I'm starting to hate this line now) right at the knot and I watch in disgust as a beautiful tiger striped 17 incher takes off with my lure in his mouth. This is the first fish to break me off this year and I wasn't happy to loose that lure since it was the only one I had with me. He was barely hooked on the last treble so I waited around for a while to see if he would spit my lure out and I might see it floating down stream, but I didn't. I continued down stream and hooked into several more fish but I told my self I wouldn't bother with the camera unless it was a descent fish over 15 inches. As I paddled I watched several quality fish in the clear water ( 3-4 foot visibility) and figured a 15 plus incher wouldn't be too difficult today especially after loosing that 17 incher so early on. I threw a shad rap and caught a couple more 13 inchers, a spinner bait and caught an 11 and 12 incher respectively. Then, I switched to a fluke type lure that I have had some success with recently and had lots of interest in it but was having a hard time getting fish to stay on the 4/0 red Gamakastu hook. I probably had 30 fish hit it but lost the majority of them. The neat thing about fishing a fluke is that when a fish hits he will keep coming back and hit it again several more times until he at least feels the hook. Most of the fish I caught on it were not caught in the first strike but often times the third or even forth. As I was getting closer to my take out point I still hadn't caught a good fish over 15 inches so I took a few pics of some smaller fish for the forum (your welcome guys!)

Here are a few 12-13 inch fish

I called my wife and said I would fish until dark and asked if she could pick me up in an hour and a half, so I had some time to focus on another long deep pool that had a lot of wood structure in it. I was still throwing the fluke and still missing a lot of fish. I made a cast along a fallen tree in about 6 feet of water. My kayak was drifting slightly away from where I wanted it so I set my rod down and made one quiet paddle stroke to reposition the yak. As I'm doing this I look over at my line and see it take off sideways as the fluke was sinking. I reel up the slack as quick as I can and set the hook. My drag starts singing and I know I have a good fish on the end of my line. By this point the fish has pulled my kayak around about 90 degrees and I can tell the fish is making for the surface to jump. The Monster rockets out of the water straight up in the air and jumps about 2 feet, winks at me and spits the hook. This is by far the largest smallmouth I have seen in this water- possiblly in Ohio. I have caught several 18 inchers and a couple 19 inch class fish on this river. This fish dwarfed them all. I caught a 21 inch smallie last spring in a local lake and that is my personal best Ohio smallie. Earlier this spring I caught a 22 incher on the Niagara River in Canada which is my current Personal best. I don't want to sound dramatic but I think I had a new personal best on the end of my line. I now have my "Moby Dick". Fortunately I know where he lives and I will be back soon! I believe last night was the first time in my life that I dreamt about a specific fish I lost. The scene of him jumping and spitting the hook at me keep replaying over and over in my mind.

It was a fantastic afternoon/evening to be on the water. Even if the two largest fish got away.

·
Annyong!
1,461 Posts
Nice report yakfish, that sounds like a heck of a smallmouth. You probably wouldn't find me fishing anywhere else for a while.

and we had to load the girls in their car seat ( I guess people frown about leaving toddlers at home)
They also frown on more than one kid per car seat. :p

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
nice report yakfish..with the fall bite just around the corner, theres a good chance you might hook up with that monster again...lookin forward to the next report!

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Great report. The one that got away is always the one i remember long after the others are forgot. Cute kids btw!

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
I set my rod down and made one quiet paddle stroke to reposition the yak. As I'm doing this I look over at my line and see it take off sideways as the fluke was sinking.
I've learning a lot this year . . one nugget of many you posted. Slow down and the big ones will bite.

Also, just in case anyone missed another golden nugget I read several times on your big fish bites . . wood + current + deep water = big smallmouth. Pay attention, learn, replicate! :)

Great post . . the big one always get away!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! I have been having visions of that fish jumping and spitting the hook for two days straight now! I was hoping to go out after him again tonight when I got off work. But we had plans and I forgot what day of the week it is. Maybe after work tomorrow!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts