close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

'88 Johnson 200 hp no/too little spark

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by exexec, Dec 5, 2004.

1. I had the carbs cleaned and now she won't start. Turns over great, gets good fuel but doesn't seem to get any spark. Any ideas where to start,I'd like to run her a bit before I put her away for the winter.

2. Good chance that the coils are shot. Check them for cracks. Also check the points. On a motor that old, it wouldn't hurt to change both items as they are old enough to be a potential future problem.

3. Yep, 1 St look over the coil and wires, then use a fly wheel puller and check out them points.
    Centrall rental will have a puller if you do not have one large enough.
    Do not bend the flywheel, apply pressure on the wheel with the puller and use a hard rubber mallet to strike it with. It should POP right off.

4. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

I could be wrong,but I dont think they used points on the 88 models.
    Power pack..maybe?

5. Fish Tale

Fish Tale Sea Food Eater

Check what Lewis said.My 70 horse Johnson had the same problem as you are having.Replaced it and that solved that problem......

6. Checked and cleaned the coils, no cracks but alot of corrosion. Will try to start it next. Should I get a spark checker? Wher is the power pack and what does it do? Sorry - I am a novice at this but willing to learn.

7. Electrical and ignition connection and she fired right up!!! Thanks for all the help

8. Ex,

Just for future reference, the power pack on my '88 Johnson 48 horse is between the coils. And if I don't forget, the power pack runs a lead to each coil. I had to replace all of mine last year. Didn't fix my problem but since they were old, who cares. All three parts cost me less than $200, and took no time to replace.

Eric