close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

8 ft mh poles vs 7-71/2 heavy poles

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by bigcatman, Jun 7, 2005.

1. i want to know what yall think when it comes to 8 ft m h vs 7- 7 1/2 h poles for general catfishing have come to conclusion that im buying the abu garcia 6500 tccf have never owned a bait casting reel have always had spinning reels catch normally catch 2 to 8 pounders in lakes but would also try some river fishing what would be my best bet?

2. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

all would work well, but if I would chose I would take a 8ft m/h

3. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Bank or boat fishing ?? I like the 7 1/2 because they fit in my rod storage easier. The 8' is nice too. Make sure you can haul it in your vehicle....

4. Check out a Shakespeare Ugly Cat rod in 8' MH for around $35 .. ( www.catfishconnection.com ) nice rod for the money and quality made. Check out the website, all catfish tackle and great prices .. i can personally recommend them as i have ordered several times and have always received my order within 2-3 days of placing order.

Best of luck and Good Fishin' !!!

5. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

no need for the heavy action broomsticks,unless you need to cast a pound of weight.the m/h will handle any catfish you'll encounter.for me personally,the m/h cat rods even are too much for channels in most situations.my favorite rig for channels s my 7 foot m/h flippin' stick/amb.5000 reel,as long as i don't need to cast several ounces,for any distance.

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

As Flathunter will attest to, all my fishign tackle is a tight fit. I ahve a Jeep Cherokee, so my rods go from the back window to the front window! Any thing over a 8ft 1 piece rod & I'd be hurt, which make sme think how many vehicles can haul those 1 piece 10 foot rods????? I have both a Med Heavy & Heavy Big Cat Rod & the HEAVY can be overkill for smaller fish, but make sit nice in a river when you can toss out 8oz w/ out a problem.