Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
7th Season On Lake Erie
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were intending to head out of Vermilion North up to the 35 line but when we got that far the Admiral decided we were going all the way to the Buoy.

Started West of the pack and although marking very little set up and started a troll to the East. Never saw a net go in the water and we had no takers for harnesses with 3 oz inlines. After 2 hours trying to find decent marks, we turned South and decided to do a long troll on a Vermilion heading.

All fish we marked were on the bottom.
We were running the new Big Boards and thought a long troll would give us chance to try various releases and get comfortable with this set up.

Still using 3oz inlines and a mixture of double willow harness's at 60, 70, 80 & 90 back, no takers from the few marks.

Moved deeper to 100 back on two rods, and netted the first fish on purple / pink willows. We trolled all the way back to the 35 line picking up an occasional fish. Finished with 8 in the box, most came 110 back on dark purple with pink backs. We also had chance to try our Worm Burners for the first time and pulled 3 fish on them. Speed was 1.8 to 2.0 mph.

It was a great day to be on the Lake slightly marred by a charter full throttling back towards Vermilion who ran right over our port board, actually hit it ! No damage to the board, but we lost 2 setups in the tangle that followed, and the board flag.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Great report glad you found some fish. What are worm burners? I think I know what you are talking about, but just want to be aware of any new items out there...always learning. I go out of Vermilion as well mooring at Romps. Thanks for the info!

RS

·
7th Season On Lake Erie
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thank you my new friend for the information. I swear I learn something new every time I go to this site. Those are not what I thought they were, but I really like them and we will give them a try. Does anyone locally carry them or is it strictly thru the web site? So much info and so little brain...good thing they invented paper & pencil! Thanks again and good luck out there.

RS

·
Registered
650 Posts
I went to the same area tonight and it was pretty steady fish. Was alone and boated at least 15. Lost a few with the net and lost a few on the way in. Smaller fish but did lose 2 pigs at the boat. 110back 2 oz reef runners. 90 back 3oz harness. Best color was a blue and pink. Boy/girl?

·
7th Season On Lake Erie
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Boy/girl?
Yes, my wife and I started fishing on Erie 3 years ago. We learnt how to troll for Walleye together. It's big learning curve, but we are getting there and we bounce, where to fish and what program to pull, off each other.

Reading this great forum has been a major help to us.
Thanks to all who take the time to post and share their knowledge and experience

Just started using the Big Boards that I made a couple of weeks ago and that is another challenge we are facing together :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts