close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

8/29/07 Smallies, White Bass, and Catfish

Discussion in 'Ohio River Fishing Reports' started by neocats1, Aug 30, 2007.

1. neocats1

neocats1 Team Catastrophe

Wouldn't you know my luck. I went to a little spot north of Steubenville in search of White Bass and Skip Jack for catfish bait. I ended up catching 8 Smallmouth in the first 15 minutes I was there. Most were small, but one was about 14". All hit on a Chartruese Curly Tail jig. I stopped counting White Bass after 75. All were in the 4-8" range. Stayed ou until 9:30 and only caught one Channel Cat that weighed in at 5# 13 oz.

2. creekwalker

creekwalker Moving water...

neocats1, were you on the main river, trib, or mouth? Any other info about the area would be great (water temp, structure, depth, current, etc.).

Based on some of your posts and the cooler evening temps, I think I'll have to get down to the river and try my luck. I've been sitting it out most of this summer. A mess of white bass would be fun.

CW

3. neocats1

neocats1 Team Catastrophe

I was fishing north of Pottery Addition. There is an Island with a Steel Mill ( I can't remember the name now). I was fishing on the Ohio side, which is the secondary channel around the island. There is also a small feeder creek there. I caught all the Smallies around a huge tree that was down and got lodged there during the high waters earlier this month. The small White Bass were practically everywhere I turned. The current is not very strong there around the edges, but it is decent farther out of course. Also been catching White Bass and Smallies at the mouth of Harmon Creek across from Steubenville Marina.

4. I was out on the river wednesday night too. Caught some skipjack below Pike Island in the morning and headed back out in the evening. Caught a dozen or so small white bass (4"-8"), a smallie, a largemouth (both about 10"), and 2 channels about 4-5 lbs. I lost a real nice smallie due to a lure toss on the jump and lost a nice flattie due to an unseen snag. Wasn't a bad night but was hoping for better. Fish were chasing shad all over but couldn't buy a good fish. Should be back out either Saturday night or Sunday night.

Jake

5. creekwalker

creekwalker Moving water...

Thanks for the info. I'm from down near Cincy, but know a few spots that sound similar to what you are describing. I'll have to try them out soon!

CW