close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

8/28 & 8/29 carpin

Discussion in 'Carp Discussions' started by RiverRat, Aug 30, 2005.

1. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Well Sunday evening Dave (o.c.c.dave) and I hit one of our prime spots, the "duck blind" swim.

Well it was a jungle walk to say the least..lol.but we got set up around 6pm.
    I had 2 rods out and Dave had one...he had planned to put his 2nd rod, a cat rod ,out with some fresh frozen shad i brought for him..geez!

Anyway, the action was slow at first, but the more method balls and roasted corn i catapulted out, we started to see fish rolling more and more.
    We both caught some nice 10 lbers. and i even had 2 big channel cats on my rods....dang and i was'nt the one fishing for cats...figures. I also got on some nice Buff's too.
    Well Action heated up and i went on a roll for awhile and lost a few big ones during the craziness. I had a channel cat on one rod and my right had rod took off screamin...i reached down, set the hook and passed it on to Dave. I knew this was a big one because when i first picked up the rod and clicked off the BTR the fish almost took the rod from my hands..as i handed it to Dave the drag just kept screamin off. He fought the fish for a min. then the hook pulled, this after ateast a 40+ yrd. non-stop run....GEEZ...oh well poop happens , guess that fish was barely lip hooked and ripped it out on one of its hard power runs...we'll never know.

I did however manage a very fat mid 20 lber. and Dave ended up getting a run on the 6" shad i gave him....about a 20 lb. snapping turtle...heheheh.

Monday:
    Well knowing the action was great, i returned to the swim this evening trying to cash in on some big fish.....but as i got to the river i noticed that the river had rose atleast 2-3' over night with that nasty storm that woke me up last night.
    Not to big a deal since this spot also has a very big slack water pool...i just had to hit it from another angle since our normal spot was unreachable for my Rocky boots(needed hip waders instead).

Well the high water pushed a lot of fish in the slack water as i planned and i managed 11 carp to 19 lbs. with the smallest being 9 lbs.

Another great time on the river...we are heading to the ole Ohio River next weekend, since the forecast for this week here is LOTS of rain and the river will be out of its banks for sure...atleast the big river will be fishable even in high water.

Scott

2. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

good going guys..
    we'll see if the rain they predict actually become true.. i highly doubt it..

3. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

I dont know man...looks like today will be an all day rain....dang and i wanted to keep the drought going too, i hate rain!! I much prefer these type of summers...nice a dry, wish we had a drought every year.

Scott

4. sounds like a nice time. if i go tommarow and it rains like it is would i be wasting my time im going to go back to est. branch

5. crappielooker

not at all.. :) u wont be wasting your time, especially if u said u saw fish where u were..
    i understand a nice dry summer, but this is beyond dry.. i'm welcoming this rain with open arms.. lol

6. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Nah, best fishing year i ever had was the drought in the late 90's..probably landed over 1000 lbs. of flathead catfish that summer.
    Best thing about this dry weather has been the "normal" spring..last visit to the Ohio river there were emerald shiners, shad and skipjack herring everywhere..have'nt seen that site in MANY years....going to be an awsome fall bite on the river for sure.

Guess if i only fished for carp it might not matter, but i love to fish for many species..carp are just a nice break from the normal flatheads and smallmouth bass ive been chasing hard for the last 12+ yrs. before this carp bug bit me.

Scott

7. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Well just checked the USGS map for Ohio......rivers and streams are coming up fast....and the hardest rains have'nt even hit us yet...GEEZ US!!!
    Bet ya our lakes will be up and muddy too since all of them are stream fed...good luck to those that venture out in this mess.

Scott

8. crappielooker

its gonna be just like before.. goes up real quick, and come down just as fast.. the ground will prolly absorb most of it this time around, as it needs the rain bad.. :) i'm definitely keeping a close eye on the rain, gonna be out and about in it soon, if the gas doesn't kill me first.. lol

9. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

I hear ya...i filled up sunday cause i knew it would go up fast with the stupid storm....and at looking today the gas prices have gone up...i hear prices around $3 by the weekend, which might hurt our ohio river plans...got to wait and see how badly it goes.
    My sister in Florida said its at $3 a gal. down there already.....pretty nice when the gas companys raise the prices when we have a major storm effecting half the country..thier so nice a considerate are'nt they...something has to give soon cause this is freakin stupid!!!!

Scott