Ohio Game Fishing banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A friend of mine had a big fish kill at his private pond so I went to river to get him some decent cats.

We fished about a 1/4 mile upstream from Joyce Park - just downstream from the Beaver Damn (protected area).

We seined for chubs, shiners, shad, baby blue gill, etc. Didn't get started 'til about 2:30pm but it didn't matter they were hungry. This is less than a quarter of the amount of cats we caught in a few hours, we only took these.

5'6" Ugly Stick Combo Walmart Specials w/ 6# test, heavy split shots, 1/0 regular hooks - The current was average for GMR.

·
HouseTackle
2,054 Posts
That was a really nice, concise report. Good luck with the pond. Any idea why the fish died off? It looks like you got to crush some Buds, too, down there :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was a really nice, concise report. Good luck with the pond. Any idea why the fish died off? It looks like you got to crush some Buds, too, down there :)
Yessir! It's actually my boss's pond. He's pretty smart when it comes to the health of his pond and attributed the fish kill to the climate. It's been a weird summer.

Anywhere in the GMR below each dam is great fishing. I like to get a mile or so downstream from the low level dam by Miami Univ - Hamilton. You can catch these fish all day long. And the pics do not do them justice.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
......... I like to get a mile or so downstream from the low level dam by Miami Univ - Hamilton. You can catch these fish all day long. And the pics do not do them justice.
Awesome...thanks for the tip agreen ! Ill be sure to bring some friends..we've been lookin for a place to go and stock up on catfish dinners.

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
Awesome...thanks for the tip agreen ! Ill be sure to bring some friends..we've been lookin for a place to go and stock up on catfish dinners.
They will never learn. It is a lost cause trying to help these guys understand how dumb it is to give up spots.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No problem, there's plenty to catch. Do you eat cats from the GMR? I was always told NOT to eat the fish from it.

They will never learn. It is a lost cause trying to help these guys understand how dumb it is to give up spots.
That's what this community is for isn't it? To share?

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
No problem, there's plenty to catch. Do you eat cats from the GMR? I was always told NOT to eat the fish from it.

That's what this community is for isn't it? To share?
To share spots NO. Unless thru Pm. To share lure choice or what structure fish are relating to and other things like that fine. Someone can use that info and put it towards whatever waterway they are fishing. Just keep in mind that this thread has already seen 115 views. So lets say 15 of those decide to go fish that spot. And 10 of those decide to keep six channel cats each. That is sixty fish gone. Then from your words there being plenty to catch goes to very few or none to catch. If that is one of your favorite spots to go it would seem more enjoyable for you if there weren't 15 other guys fishing with you. But maybe you like the paylaking shoulder to shoulder style of fishing. Just something to think about. Just consider that some other guy might be doing good at that spot also and might not wanted posted on the internet for all to see.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To share spots NO. Unless thru Pm. To share lure choice or what structure fish are relating to and other things like that fine. Someone can use that info and put it towards whatever waterway they are fishing. Just keep in mind that this thread has already seen 115 views. So lets say 15 of those decide to go fish that spot. And 10 of those decide to keep six channel cats each. That is sixty fish gone. Then from your words there being plenty to catch goes to very few or none to catch. If that is one of your favorite spots to go it would seem more enjoyable for you if there weren't 15 other guys fishing with you. But maybe you like the paylaking shoulder to shoulder style of fishing. Just something to think about. Just consider that some other guy might be doing good at that spot also and might not wanted posted on the internet for all to see.
Or maybe I lead him on a wild goose chase ;) Nonetheless the GMR is a huge river with thousands of cats, no biggie.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Or maybe I lead him on a wild goose chase ;) Nonetheless the GMR is a huge river with thousands of cats, no biggie.
That is no wild goose chase, that is a pretty much exact location. The GMR is a big river, but accessible bank area is fairly limited. I made the mistake of giving away spots online when I first started posting here, trust me people WILL show up. Look at the views of this thread compared to the replies, that should tell you how many people are actually seeing this.

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
I think that china had that same view on their rivers. That their would always be an endless supply of fish. Now species of fish are gone for good. Seems like a weird view for a fisherman to have. That there is no need to have any concern over fish that their our thousands so no biggie. I think the saying goes something like you can lead a horse to water but if he still won't drink you hold his head under the water until he stops kicking. Something like that. ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree with the opinions of not giving away spots unless by PM... I enjoy having sections of the river to myself... I know others may have fished it just before I got there, but atleast they aren't pay lake conditions where they are shoulder to shoulder.... I read on this forum too, that some people that own those pay lakes will use hot spot info to go net fish to put in their ponds.... So many fish will surely dwindle to nothing if they get the info... And imalt thx for the award! LOL

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
I agree with the opinions of not giving away spots unless by PM... I enjoy having sections of the river to myself... I know others may have fished it just before I got there, but atleast they aren't pay lake conditions where they are shoulder to shoulder....
A new ogf member that gets it. Thought I would never see the day. Scooter I am officially giving you the ogf new member of the year award. congratulations. Pick up your award a mile from the low dam in Hamiltucky. One of the 40 people fishing their will have the award.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
It's a tired topic but worth a mention when I see it happen. Advise is free, you can take it or leave it. It's anyone's choice to be wise in their ways or foolish. Ignorance can be cured. Stupid not so much and it doesn't take long for someone to show their colors either way.

Like someone else already said, I to enjoy nothing more than an empty river. I can count on one hand how many times I've been out this year and had to share the water. If anyone of the posts I've made we're to show a spots location I would have permanent company, tons of pressure, less fish and tons of trash. The level of contributors to viewers of this site is disappointingly out of proportion. To few contributors and to many users waiting to poach spots.

Smallmouthing is a passion I love and I try to share my learned experiences on the water to promote and protect the sport and help others on their way to doing the same.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
1,318 Posts
A friend of mine had a big fish kill at his private pond so I went to river to get him some decent cats.

We fished about a 1/4 mile upstream from Joyce Park - just downstream from the Beaver Damn (protected area).

We seined for chubs, shiners, shad, baby blue gill, etc. Didn't get started 'til about 2:30pm but it didn't matter they were hungry. This is less than a quarter of the amount of cats we caught in a few hours, we only took these.

5'6" Ugly Stick Combo Walmart Specials w/ 6# test, heavy split shots, 1/0 regular hooks - The current was average for GMR.

Your friend had a big fish kill probably because you are stocking fish from the river. Everytime you stock "wild" fish in a closed environment you are putting that pond at risk....

·
Hopelessly Hooked
1,376 Posts
agreen sounds like you got slammed. Man give the guy a break he was just tying to share info with fellow fishermen, I too have mentioned where I fish guess thats a no no here, but wont any more if it means getting repramanded on a public forum maybe scoldings should be in pm form also!

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I fished the lmr tonight with deltaoscar. We caught 7or8 apiece when it happened.
About a half hour before dark here comes this guy wading. I felt violated, crowded, shocked. Because id never ever seen anyone fishing there. Ever. Why? Because i dont fish andtell when it comes to spots. Imalt is absolutely correct

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
agreen, its all good man..i dont eat fish from the river very often anyway...everyone here is just tryin to be friendly in their remarks about sharing spots...it really does attract tons of pressure and can literally wipe out a good hole on the river in just a few weeks....really. And youre spot on in saying that this forum is for sharing knowledge and info,we do that on a daily basis here on OGF because we are good sportsman ...but as far as SPECIFIC spots go... thats why our ingenious mods created the PM.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.