close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

8-17-04 Bass Fishing

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Pharley, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Pharley

Pharley Hook 'Em

Fished a small private farm pond (8:30-10:30) about 2 miles northeast of Waldo, had a great day. My buddie had this pond surveyed 2 weeks ago, and the guy said the average depth is only 3', with some deeper pockets. I have fished it twice, hammered them once and not so good once. This pond has only been fished twice in the past 3 years, both times by me.

Today I started throwing a white buzz bait, nailed one on the first cast. Caught about 8 fish on it. I then used a chartreuse spinner, got broke off by a hog, and caught a couple more. Put on a tan headed spinner and caught 2, then got broke off by a hog again. I was using a Bass Pro Tourney reel with 8 lb test. I got mad and started cursing at myself, so I walked out to the truck and got my Gander Mountain reel that had 20/6 Spiderwire, hooked it up to a big white/chart. spinner.

Caught maybe 5 more bass, then I caught the big girl. Threw in around some cattails, and started the retrieve, and BAM. Took me about 3 minutes to get her close to the bank. She tried to jump out once, but did not get off. Got her close to the bank, and my rod broke. She went back in, but stayed shallow on some moss, where I pulled the line in. She was 20" and weighed 6.2 lbs, super nice looking fish. The broken rod was a Cabelas IM6 Tourney rod, LT 4-8 lbs.

I'd guess I brought in 16-20 bass this morning. The average fish out there is 12-14", with some smaller, some bigger, and 1 much bigger. This is the funnest day bass fishing I have ever had. If anyone whats to check this pond out, give me a PM/e-mail. This is spectacular action for 2 hours of fishing.
    Rob

2. Way to go Pharley, that is one heck of a morning. That sounds like a dynamite spot, even better that you're the only one who can fish it. I don't know about you, but I'll take a pond over a lake any day of the week!

3. Pharley

Pharley Hook 'Em

Yea, I went there as a last resort today. Was going to do some creek fishing, but the water looked awfully low in the spot I wanted to fish. So I was lucky for that!

4. irishfisherman

irishfisherman Da' Irish Guy

WOW Pharley, sounds like someone had an awesome day!!!!!