Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I had some questions and didn't know where to turn so I figured I'd start here. I have recently recieved a 18' 1978 thompson bowrider. It was my grandfather's and means a lot to me. Only problem; it hasn't ran in 20 years.( It has been stored inside though and away from the weather conditions, so the body is flawless) :( It has a volvo I/O and I'm willing to spend the money to rebuild it to get it in top shape to fish on the lake again. Any suggestions on where to take it and a ball park of how much it's gonna take (worst case sinario)? I was planning on getting a boat in the spring time but this came up and I really want to get her back on the water, my grandfather would want it that way. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Wizard of Eyez
288 Posts
Do you know if it ran before it was parked for that period? Your motor may be a good ol Chevy 350 or the likes. Replace the belts and hoses and fluids/filters and try to turn it over. If it doesn't start you can try a regular car mechanic which will be cheaper than marine. After that you can start to consider the outdrive factors... replacing impeller (easy) and bellows/boots. etc. The boat sounds like a good cause so go for it. good luck.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Indian Summer. And yes, it was running and ran often before it was stored. I guess I'll have to take a close look and go from there. Really looking forward to getting it out on the lake again!

·
Registered
960 Posts
If you need parts I have a Volvo motor and outdrive that came out of a 1979 Thompson. Motor has recent overhaul. Let me know stuff is cheap just hate to scrap.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you need parts I have a Volvo motor and outdrive that came out of a 1979 Thompson. Motor has recent overhaul. Let me know stuff is cheap just hate to scrap.
Thanks! that'd be greatly appreciated! PM me and we'll exchange info. I'm not much of a motor head so i'm gonna have some of my buddys take a look at it to see what all I need and go from there. Thanks again

·
Registered
458 Posts
try to turn it over by hand first, a socket and a breaker bar should do the trick. you might have to spray some pb blaster or wd-40 in the spark plug holes and let it sit for a day or two to get the rings to loosen up. i'd drain the gas tank if that hasn't been done before you try anything. take a picture of the engine and post it on here. iboats website is a great place to find info, they actually have a volvo forum that deals with only volvo marine engines. an eighteen foot thompson probably has a volvo aq engine maybe a 125a four cylinder paired with a 270 outdrive, maybe a 280, cant remember which year they switched it up. i'll tell you this about volvo's they run forever... the outdrive is way over built and practically indestructible.

·
Wizard of Eyez
288 Posts
http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=444

Iboats is a great suggestion. Make sure you read the sticky thread at the top about asking questions. They'll help but they are busy. I think Don could take the space shuttle apart and put it back together by tomorrow but he will only help those who make reasonable efforts to help themselves. He may give you a link to download a service manual. Just make sure your questions are clear and complete and you should be able to get solid answers on anything you need to know. Good luck againn and keep us posted. I wanna see how that project goes. That motor and outdrive are indestructible. I think your work should be short and sweet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts