close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

7.62 x 39 Corrosive or Not?

Discussion in 'Guns and Ammo' started by olwhitee, Oct 25, 2008.

1. My local gun store is running a special on 7.62x39 ammo for 2.99 a box. My hangup is that I do not know if it is corrosive. I asked the guy at the store and he did not know either. The box does not say non corrosive on it, so I cannot tell. It is Russian made hollow point ammo and I would like to buy some but I do not want run corrosive ammo through my guns.

Anyone know if there is a way to tell if it is corrosive???

2. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

If its surplus its probably corrosive. Go back and write down what the headstamp is then let me know. I'll find out for you

3. BigV

BigV BigV

I wouldn’t worry about it being corrosive. I shoot the stuff through my AR 15 all the time. Just make sure you do a good cleaning after you are finished for the day and you won’t have any problems.
    There are a lot of people out there using corrosive ammo as normally it’s a lot cheaper.

4. I used to shoot the 7.62 54r through my M44. It was corrosive ammo, but it cost 10 cents a round. As long as you clean your gun really well after shooting (which you should do anyway) you will be fine. Its a lot cheaper for just shooting, then to buy the more expensive stuff.

5. I will check out the head stamp later this week, I have to go pick up my new AK 47 when it comes in.

I have a lot of 7.62, but can you ever have enough? I will pick up some and just keep it for just in case ammo.

I will let you know the head stamp as well when I pick it up.

6. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

I just picked up 2K rounds of the 7.62x39 for $223 per for Wolf 122gr HP NC. The corrosive was $182 per 1K

7. where did you get it from if i may ask? on a side note have you ran accross any good deals on .223/5.56mm?

8. Thats a great deal for 2000 rounds. Its hard to find 1000 for around that price.

Are there more where those came from? Let me know if you can, thanks

9. BigV

BigV BigV

I've checked ALL my ammo sources and here are the best deals I could find out there:
    WF762FMJ 7.62 X 39MM 122gr FMJ $175.00/1000 case

WF762HP WOLF PERFORMANCE 7.62 X 39MM 122GR HP 175.00 per 1000

WF762SP 154 gr Soft Point Ammo. $190.00 / 1000 case

WFMC762H Wolf M/C 7.62x39 124gr HP $185.00/1000

7.62X39 RUSSIAN MILITARY CLASSIC FULL METAL JACKET NON CORROSIVE BRAND NEW AMMO $209- 1,000 rounds.

If you are finding 2,000 rounds of 7.64X39mm for $223 you should buy all you can get a hold of and then add 50% mark up and resell it. You could make over $55.00 for every thousand you sell!!

10. Nevermind my last post, I misread your post and thought you wrote 2k for 223$ all together, not per 1k......had me ready to burn up some plastic....lol

11. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

Sorry if it was not clear enough. I paid that price for 1,000 rounds of NC. Your right if it was that price for 2K, I would have bought ever single case until the guys in the dark suits and sunglasses showed up on my door step.:eek:

BIGV Was those prices shipped or just FTF? Thanks,BC

12. BigV

BigV BigV

Here's where I use to buy my ammo (before I started re-loading).

http://wideners.com/index.cfm

http://www.ammoman.com/index.htm

I think ammoman's prices include shipping.

13. Well I picked up my new ak 47 tonight, and I am a bit dissapointed. The sights are badly canted. I knew the WASR rifles had a problem with this, but I guess in my mind I expected CAI to be a bit better about what they ship out.

Anyway, I grabbed some of that ammo and I cannot find any info about the headstamp. Maybe someone else can...here are some pics....let me know what you think.

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/data/500/medium/DSCF2341.JPG

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/data/500/medium/DSCF2340.JPG

14. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

Wwhat is the headstamp, its hard to see in the pic. TD3 ?

15. Either TD3 or TO3 possibly.....its hard to tell

I could not find info on either, I think it is gonna be corrosive from what I have been reading about Russian ammo. No big deal, I just like to know what I am shooting before running it through the gun.

16. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

This is nothing more tha na wild gues but the "T" stands for Tula Arsenal, Tula Russia and I would guess 03 for the year, so I would say its noncorrosive. BUT I would treat it as corrosive until you find out for sure.

17. Thanks, thats my plan. I have a good amount of non corrosive already, so this will just go in the safe in case I need it someday.

Also I want to update my situation on the AK. I contacted CAI about the problem and it was a very easy fix. The guy who runs it is very nice and made sure I was satisfied with the gun, offering to ship it back on his dime and send me a different one if I was not happy. He went above and beyond what I expected, and the rifle sight is good to go.

I do not want my above post to reflect badly on CAI. They are top notch.