close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

63 years ago............

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by midnight, Jun 6, 2007.

1. a salute to all the boys still on the normandy beach...... thank you for your altimate sacrifice............bless be..............mid.

2. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

i watched a program yesterday about it.although i really do have alot of admiration for that generation,the show made me think of just how brave those men had to be.i can't begin to imagine how they forced themselves to take those beaches knowing the firepower they were facing.
    my father was part of d-day.he was in the 101st airborne glider infantry.he told me a few stories about those times and it made me wonder if i would have been able to do the same things they had to do.
    whenever i think about it all i can do is admire them!

3. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

My Dad and Uncle were both there that day. Thank God they both made it back. My Dad received a purple heart that day and my uncle a few days later. Both have passed on but as a veteran myself I know they did what they had to do.
    Thanks to all that were there, as the number of survives is getting less each day.

4. Pigsticker

Pigsticker State record bass or bust

That day was one of the biggest days of the last 100 years. If those courageous young men had not made it up that beach we'd probably all be speaking German right now. I wonder if our brave soldiers realized then how big this battle was going to be in the history books.

To take absolutely nothing away from our boys but my dad always told me that the Canadians had it the roughest and got slaughtered on the beach they had to attack.

Thanks to all our veterans everyday for what they did and do.

5. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

if i remember right i think the canadians tanks got bogged down on the beach and they ended up being easy targets.sad

6. stormfront

stormfront Guest

my dad, his brother, and another uncle all were part of it. all came home and lived long lives. my dad would never talk much about the war. he would only say that during the battle of the bulge, it was so cold, the would use napalm in 55 gallon drums to stay warm.

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I'm watching Saving Private Ryan right now thinking about that brave generation of men. God bless them.