close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

6/17-6/19 Camping at Pleasant Hill Camprounds?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Reel Lady, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

I really wasnt sure what forum to put this under.. so sorry if this doesnt belong here :eek:
    Anyway... Looks like we will be heading down to Pleasant Hill campgrounds (near Loudonville) on Friday 6/17 and will stay through Sunday.
    I also just learned that the Norton fishing Tourneys are having a tourney there on Saturday the 18. Will anybody from OGF be participating in that? We won't be participating in the tourney, but we will be doing alot of fishing over the weekend.
    If anyone would like to go camping there, let me know, and I'll see if I could arrange to reserve a few campsites that are next to eachother. :)

2. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

It will be a dog fight to find any productive water on a weekend @ Pleasant Hill. Honestly I would suggest either Charles Mill or Clear Fork if you plan to catch fish. PH is a good early and late season lake mainly because of the pleasure boats. Its pretty small and the no wake area not too desireable for fish. If you do go....head south from the ramp and stop dead in the middle of the lake as soon as you hith the no wake area.. start fan casting with shad raps/cranks for saugeye/crappie. Watch out for the Musky and Carp. :D

how ironic ....I am going to be at WB this Sunday which will be no better but 5 x larger :C

3. Newbreed is right,I live within 15 minutes of P.Hill,and I avoid it as much as possible from late May until October(unless I have a tournament there).Cedar Point would seem less crowded to me! You can find some good fishing though,I would save the daytime hours for swimming or sight-seeing,and concentrate your fishing after dark,or very early in the morning.Trolling #7 Shad Raps off the main beach area down to the private beach area(follow the bouy line)after dark will usually produce a few saugeye's.P.Hill is also a fine catfish lake,if you're into that.Again,the area out off the main beach is a good spot to try,as is off the old airstrip near the fishing pier.Bass fishing has been pretty tough there all year,largemouth fishing is usually best in the upper end(no wake zone),while smallie fishing is better off some of the deeper points in the lower,deeper end.Crappies can be found just about anywhere lakewide.Good luck.

4. Reel Lady

The only reason that we picked Pleasant Hill is because it is very close to Rob's family. He comes from a family of 5 and each of the 5 kids has 5 kids of their own...Lots of family.. all right around that area so it makes it convenient for them.
    We will have our boat with us, but fishing (unfortunately) wont be the main thing happening.. Our fishing machine will temporarily be transformed into the "the over crowded pleasure boat - pulling a tube - and annoying all of the boat fisherman with the wakes that I create" ... lol Sorry pleasure boaters.. but you see, I am one just as you.. just not very often :D

5. Watch out for a pontoon with a 125 on it ...

6. Reel Lady

And who would this person be??? lol

7. My grandfather....who has quite a short attention span at the wheel of a boat in his later years

8. Reel Lady

I'm scared now :D :C

9. MAKtackle

MAKtackle your REEL friend

We'll be down there Sat w/Norton. It's not that bad though the ramp may get C R O W D E D. Fishing is better than alot of the lakes around here have been. Just plan to launch at weird times and you should be OK. Oh yaa...What's another boat wake, Where use to it after last weekend! I'll keep a eye out for that party barge Ranger...

10. Reel Lady

LOL.. the Party Barge.. thats only when my daughter is with us... Thats when the rear deck turns into a dance floor! :D All we really need now is a few strobe lights, laser lights and fog machines!
    Anyway.. about Pleasant Hill... We are teetering now.. The weather is supposed to be in the upper 60's during the day, and 50's at night with a good chance of rain friday and saturday. Not real good tubing weather. There is a chance that we may just come up for 1 day (probably sunday) Although, I would love to be there for the weigh-in on Saturday.. We'll see... I'll just keep my eye on the weather and hope that it decides to warm up just a bit :)

11. Yeah the ramp definately does get crowded. I think it would almost be better if instead of two ramps in one spot two single ramps seperated would be better. But MWCD doesnt really listen to the opinions of any of the land owners down there anyways so oooooh well. That should be perfect tubing weather! Most of the Jet Ski's will be off the lake then, youll actaully have some room to have fun with it. On the really nice, thus really crowded, weekends that ski pattern literally churns the water so much you get a whirpool going and you get these 2-3 foot choppy waves and you can't stay on plane.

12. Reel Lady

Christmas in July at Pleasant Hill Campgrounds... Ever been there for that? LOL.. we have for the last few years. Wow.. talk about a mad house! I dont think that they have one open campsite. For kids though, this is a great time with so many planned activities for kids of all ages.. they also have a decent fireworks show.. The lake, in my opinion is just too crowded.. not only crowded, but you have people going every which way with no predictable "flow" of boat traffic. Its amazing that there are not more boating accidents on that lake then there are.

13. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

Well the water rangers certainly do there job ...to the extent of setting off my fire ext. in my face the first time I had my Skeeter out!!! :mad:

Got me out of my violation but didnt score points with my lady freind as I looked like a schmoo with frosted white hair. :D

14. That is a crazy time there. We stay far away for the fireworks on the "slow" side. I am surprised there aren't more accidents too there especially since it narrows and makes that sharp turn on the unlimited HP end. I've seen PLENTY of close calls though. I've also noticed the last few years more and more people not recognizing the no wake zone bouys and tubing or just flying down the west end of the lake. I remeber when there was a full time watercraft ranger there too, he was a great guy, and he kept that lake in check.

15. Reel Lady

Well, we survived pleasant hill this weekend. We ended up getting a "vacation cabin" instead of our usual tents because the weather was looking so iffy. I hate to admit this, but I think I'm spoiled by these little cabins. It was SO nice to have a refridgerater, microwave, and stove :eek: I only needed to pack about 1/3 of the things I normally would.. oh, and I forgot to mention that we had hot water and air conditioning...lol
    Price wise I didnt think it was too bad. They rent them for 170.00 for the weekend and they have 10 of these cabins available. I think it would actually be alot of fun for a group of OGFers to rent out all 10 cabins. Maybe they would even give us a reduced group rate?
    So, while we were there... Norton Marine had a tourny there. I think the winning weight was somewhere in the 10 pound range. Unfortunately, we missed the weigh in..
    As for the fishing... Must have been Fathers Day luck for Rob cuz he kicked butt on that lake! He seriously just put me to shame :eek: He caught alot of bass (sorry, lost track of how many) None were huge, but they were all very healthy looking 14-18" bass.
    Zach (reelson) put together a new little setup using a 3 way swivel. This setup is supposed to immitate a larger fish chasing a smaller fish and actually looks very cool in the water. He didnt have much time to fish with this because he had to leave, but I know he is looking forward to throwing it out at the quarry behind our house tonight...
    Hanna brought her friend Amy on the trip. Amy really loves to fish too. Hanna taught Amy how to "Lip" a fish... That's my girl :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And as for me? LOL.. well this was so crazy... Believe it or not, I caught a fish Ohio carp on a brown crawtube with a rattle! I gotta tell ya, this fish put up one serious fight too! Too bad they have to be so goofy looking :rolleyes: Because it would be awesome if a bass could put up half the fight that this fish did! It definitely let me see what my rod and reel were capable of handling. It took me a good 5 minutes to get this fish in. Everytime it got near the boat, it would take a dive and go completely under the boat. I'm lucky that the line didnt wrap around the trolling motor thats for sure.. Meanwhile, as I'm attempting to land this fish, Rob is totally distracted because just before I hooked this fish, an ODNR guy approached us and asked us if we would like to participate in a "Fishing Survey".

[​IMG]

Anyway, as you can see, I got this fat bellied carp :B onto our boat for a quick picture. I still am shocked that this carp fell for a crawtube. I'm also thankful because this fish puts me one fish closer to a Master Angler award for this year :)