close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

'56 johnson 5 1/2 hp.

Discussion in 'OGF Marketplace' started by DaleM, Aug 13, 2004.

1. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

0   0   0

I have a 5 1/2 Johnson outboard that I will sell. This thing has about 50-60 hours on it. Dual line tank. Looks like new. Needs Carberator rebuilt. Yes you can still get the kits to rebuild it. The tank is worth it's weight in gold I've been told. My Dad bought it new and only he and I have used it. Hasn't been started in a couple of years but the last time I used it it ran great. Carb. gaskets have dried out and need replaced. Asking $ 350.00. As is. $450.00 if I rebuild the carberator. Prop is like new. Even have the owners manual. You have to see this motor to believe how good it looks.

2. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

0   0   0

i have a 58' 5.5hp....more old dogs out there that i thougt any pics?....i have a guy a work that keeps trying to talk me out of my tank...Dale sent you a PM

3. bkr43050

bkr43050

0   0   0

DaleM,

Is the motor a long shaft by chance? I am in need of a smaller long shaft motor, 10HP or under.

4. DaleM

0   0   0

Yep it is. I had a 9 1/2 hp. and this one is longer than that. I used it on a 14' crestliner and never had a problem.

5. bkr43050

bkr43050

0   0   0

I have a 16' Deep V with a 20" transom so I definitely need the long shaft model. I have a short shaft 9.9 that I am running currently but I cannot open it up past half throttle or I come out of the water. Does your 14' Crestliner have a 20" transom height or closer to 15-16"? I figured most 14' boat would only be 15-16".

If it is definitely a long shaft (20" model) I may want to try it. However, since my boat is a bit heavier I may want to run it on my boat once the carb is rebuilt before deciding. I know that does not help you determine whether or not to rebuild at this point. I guess you can first of all verify for me that it has 20" on the shaft (from top of transom to top of cavitation plate when on the boat).

I apologize if it sounds as if I do not believe that it is a long shaft motor. It is just that I have made the mistake twice of not checking thoroughly. The first time I was a total rookie to the boat motor business and I went on the guy's word and ended up with a short shaft. The second time I asked the question twice and was assured that it was a long shaft motor then made the two hour trip to buy it only to find out that it was a short shaft. Therefore I want to be sure.

Thanks!

6. DaleM

0   0   0

I just measured it. from the top of the lock plate, (where it sits on the transmon, to the center of the prop is 23". It is 19" to the top of the plate abovre the prop. As for the measurement of my Crestliner transmon. That was 20+ years ago. I really couldn't tell you. Since then I have had 4 other boats. Not a problem if it's to short. I've had this motor 25 years, a few more won't hurt. ;) Anyway I may take it to canada and leave it at my place up there.