Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
DammitDave
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just recently started using the 50 Plus 2 Method (2 oz. Snap Weight) for trolling and would like to encourage everyone to seriously consider doing the same! It's cheap, it's easy and gives us accurate depths at where we're running our baits!

I bet if I asked you how deep your Bandit is running with 60 feet of line behind your board, most of you would know within a foot or 2 without looking at the Precision Trolling App or the cheat sheet in your boat. I understand how we got started using 20-20, 25-25, 30-30, etc. method (with a 2 oz. weight), but I'm guessing that most of us don't have a good idea of how deep our baits are running with these leads.

As most of you know, Mark Romanack has been working for years to determine how deep dozens of different baits are running, based on how much line is in the water. All of this information is available for only $2.00 - $3.00 per bait. (Via the Apple and Google Stores.) So, for way less than the cost of one bait, we can know with confidence how deep each bait is fishing. What a great tool!

I purchased the Bandit app last fall (which includes the 50 Plus 2 depths) and just recently purchased the P -10 (Smithwick Perfect 10 Rouge) for $2.99. A really neat aspect of both these apps is that it gives depths based on how fast you're trolling (1.5, 1.75, 2.0. 2.25 and 2.5 mph) (A Bandit 50-50 @ 2.5 mph is running 25' deep and the same bait at 1.5 mph is 34' deep! Wow - 9' - what a big difference! Why wouldn't we all want to have this information? and for only $2.99!!

I was able to visit with Mark Romanack at the Novi Fishing Show in January of 2019 and asked him why he used 50' lead before the 2 oz. Snap Weight rather than 20 or 30 feet that many Lake Erie anglers were already using. He said he used the 50' lead because several tournament anglers used the longer lead as it is superior when fishing in clear water. He said growing numbers of anglers are using Snap Weights in clear waters like Lake Huron, Upper Green Bay and the Central and Eastern Basins of Erie; it makes sense to favor the longer 50' lead. If anyone is still unsure how to use the 50 Plus 2 Method, an easy to understand animation is on the Precision Trolling Data Facebook site. I've also attached it here. There is additional information on Mark's Fishing411.net website.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?ref...8c-a809bdc39be8&q=precision trolling data llc

Please "Like" this post if you are using, or will begin using the 50 Plus 2 Method.

Thanks for considering my request/suggestion.

DammitDave

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
My thoughts: We've been using wt assisted lures for yrs. (like 20 yrs) . We don't like having to remove the sinker because it can lead to a lost fish. Also the addition 50' of line from the sinker to the lure can complicate turning and require precise tuning to minimize tangles. Our solution to these situations is to place the sinker only 6' ahead of the lure. And leave it on while landing/netting your fish. After all if a fish will hit a spoon 6' behind a big Jet or a Dipsy, that little sinker surly isn't going to bother it. From Clev West this has worked just fine for us.

So the question is when using the 50 plus 2 charts, how much difference does it make when the 50 ft becomes 6 ft?

NOT A SIMPLE QUESTION; because speed has a huge part in the answer. At speeds at 2 mph or above I believe the difference would be only 2 or 3 ft. But at slower speeds that difference could be as much as 5 or 6 ft.

If you are wanting to impart verticle swim on your lure, the sinker being closer to the lure maximizes that aspect.

Im not disagreeing with Daves comments or down playing Marks work. I'm only expressing our logic and reasoning for doing it a bit different.

Good fishing and stay healthy.

·
Hookin aint EZ
1,059 Posts
Me and Morrowtucky Mike always wondered why the most popular trolled lure on lake erie right now deep walleye bandit only has 10lb mono or 50+2 with mono.
We need some 30lb braid options for this lure on the app.
Yet the smithwick perfect 10 has a braid option and the dive curve is low for this lure.
We do use the 50+2 method now for the most part but will still run a 2020 or 3030 every now and then in the spring

·
Registered
837 Posts
NOT A SIMPLE QUESTION; because speed has a huge part in the answer. At speeds at 2 mph or above I believe the difference would be only 2 or 3 ft. But at slower speeds that difference could be as much as 5 or 6 ft.
There’s a new app called ‘Troll Master’ that allows user entry of speed, weight, and leader after weight.

On precision trolling a 50+50 bandit at 2mph is 29ft down

On Troll master, 100 ft total line out with 2 oz and 6 foot leader at 2.0mph is 32 feet down supporting Jim’s belief.

On Troll Master, 100ft total line out with 2 oz and 6 foot leader at 1.5mph is 40ft down also supporting Jim’s belief.

I plan to use both apps this year. Troll Master does not support a lot of lures, but looks very promising for snap weight fishing and can give guidance to get much deeper than precision trolling supports for those August trips from Bula in 70’ with the thermocline at 45-50 down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Walleyez Hunter
2,889 Posts
My thoughts: We've been using wt assisted lures for yrs. (like 20 yrs) . We don't like having to remove the sinker because it can lead to a lost fish. Also the addition 50' of line from the sinker to the lure can complicate turning and require precise tuning to minimize tangles. Our solution to these situations is to place the sinker only 6' ahead of the lure. And leave it on while landing/netting your fish. After all if a fish will hit a spoon 6' behind a big Jet or a Dipsy, that little sinker surly isn't going to bother it. From Clev West this has worked just fine for us.

So the question is when using the 50 plus 2 charts, how much difference does it make when the 50 ft becomes 6 ft?

If you are wanting to impart verticle swim on your lure, the sinker being closer to the lure maximizes that aspect.

Im not disagreeing with Daves comments or down playing Marks work. I'm only expressing our logic and reasoning for doing it a bit different.

Good fishing and stay healthy.
Jim, can you explain about losing fish because of removing the sinker? Because we always run them at 20 to 50 ft in front of the lure and we have never lost a fish removing the sinker.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I fish out of Conneaut and i did the whole snap weight thing when i started and everyone and there brother at the marina i keep my boat was using wire so naturally thats what i switched to over the snap weights. I just didnt think i we getting deep like you have to in july and august with snaps

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Im in the central basin, I run cranks all year unassisted and catch fish, unless your in real deep water i dont really see the need for a snap weight on a crank bait. If i need to get past 25 ft its usually in the late summer and Im either using dipseys or my downriggers. I usially find up through at lest june maybe into july the fish will eat way shallower than you think. most people are looking at their sonar and think the fish are at a specific depth but 1) your sonar is showing distance from the transducer , not depth 2) the shallow fish are scattering before you see anything on your sonar.

·
fishin is fun
636 Posts
If you go back to winter discussions Jim S. does
The action and depth of the lure changes if weight is 6ft or 50/50 method
Best is is try to understand how cranks dive and boat pull
Draw line of 50/50 n another at 6ft on paper.
Jim please help as you are the master
This is to not high jack the thread

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Im in the central basin, I run cranks all year unassisted and catch fish, unless your in real deep water i dont really see the need for a snap weight on a crank bait. If i need to get past 25 ft its usually in the late summer and Im either using dipseys or my downriggers. I usially find up through at lest june maybe into july the fish will eat way shallower than you think. most people are looking at their sonar and think the fish are at a specific depth but 1) your sonar is showing distance from the transducer , not depth 2) the shallow fish are scattering before you see anything on your sonar.
Most of mine and Hooksetharvey’s snap weight programs are in the late winter early spring when we’re running.8-1.0 mph. Hard to get a P10 down at that speed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts