close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

50-lb Pet Flathead

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by XeniaCatter, Jul 12, 2005.

1. XeniaCatter

XeniaCatter Member

S.C. Family Makes 50-Pound Catfish a Pet

A recent fishing trip netted a new pet for a South Carolina family. Clarence Reid and two young family members were fishing at Hartwell Lake recently when they hooked a 50-pound flathead catfish. Instead of a trip to the skillet, the family decided to keep the prehistoric-looking fish in a huge decorative pond.

"We were catching little ones and the big one, nothing in between," Reid said.

The fish now swims in exotic surroundings that include palm trees, a waterfall and a swimming hole containing more than 2,100 gallons of water.

Reid's wife, Deborah, said the fish is ugly but it can stay.

As for its diet: Clarence Reid plans to feed the fish dog food. He also has some concerns about how well it will get along with other pets — dogs, cats and a goat — that enjoy playing in the sand and plants surrounding the pond.

"I'm afraid if it gets too big what might happen to the cats," Reid joked.

2. The fish grew up on a steady diet of fish, larger and larger ones every year. And now it has to eat dog food? What a life.:rolleyes: I think the guy better be getting some large shad or something like that or he will lose a dog or two.:eek:

3. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Yeah what an idiot....feed it dog food now after it has been eating fish and what not.....at least give it some fish now and then....Stupid people. I guess a cat or small dog will work too.

4. eagleclaw

eagleclaw Banned

great now watch the catfish start barking like a dog :D

5. Carpn

Carpn BOWFISHERMAN

I can't believe you guys missed the obvious....He needs to feed it CATFOOD....It is CATFISH you know...not a dogfish...lol....yuk yuk yuk...
    I'm sure if the guy has a pond that big he has some decorative goldfish and koi in there...When they start coming up missing he may rethink his decision to keep the cat.

6. rockbass

rockbass Banned

you would almost thing that for him to have caught this cow, he would already have the knowledge to realize it would eat the koi or I should say fancy baitfish. It still just boggles my mind why he would just feed it dog food......Especially when it should be cat food :p

7. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

got to love rednecks i guess? what an idiot ,eez!

8. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Would they really be rednecks? I mean a redneck would know that they would eat fish not dog food........and woudl a redneck have palm trees around there pond? :D

also, why would they say it is a prehistoric looking fish? I don't think they are anyway.....Now if it were an Alligator Gar, I would agree ;)

9. GoneCatchin

GoneCatchin I hooked myself!

Also...if they were red necks that fish would have been a week's dinner by now!!

10. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

It will not, to my knowledge, nor have I ever once heard of a flathead taking commerical fish chow. LOL sorry, dog chow... which isn't formulated for fish in the first place. A diet of strictly dog food, if it would even eat pellets would equal death in the long run. The guy clearly isn't that intellegant. A 2100 gallon pond is tiny anyways, I hope he has some expensive koi that get eatten to say the least....

11. I googled his name and state here you go.

Clarence A Reid - (843) 573-9234 - 123 Birkdale Ct, Charleston, SC 29414 there u guys go tell him what to feed the fish.

12. Anybody want to go cattin?? I know where there's a big one!!

13. It is very hard to feed train flatheads, yea they will kill it :)