close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

50 hp Johnson

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by CHOPIQ, May 18, 2005.

1. After a good day at Alum my starter on my 50 hp Johnson went out. The motor is the silver anniversary model of Johnson so I think the motor is about an 83 or a couple years older. Anyone know where I can get a starter? I took the starter apart and cleaned it but it just barley turns. Tested the batteries to make sure it wasn't that. The flywheel doesn't kick out because it turns so slow.

2. crappiebub

crappiebub Justcrazy's Guide!

Your local NAPA can get them.

3. I hope you are right crappie, I've been checking on the net and they want over $200 for one.

4. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

are there any starter/alternator rebuild shops near you?they may be able to rebuild it a lot cheaper.

5. Checked with NAPA and they said they carry starters for about every other motor but Johnson. Gonna try a couple other auto parts stores.

6. There's a starter motor rebuild shop in Clintonville on W. Kanawa. I forget the name. South side of street, 1-3 blocks west of High. Garage behind house. Did a great job on a '64 Johnson for me, didn't cost alot, $75.00?? maybe. They have a sign out front. I highly recommend them. Much better then $200.00.

7. Thanks fisherball, I'll check with them first. Buckeye Marina has one in stock for $223.