Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
State record bass or bust
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know why I put 5-5-07 when its the 3rd but can't change the title of post, sorry.

I met Lundy and we were on the water before 6 this morning out of Turtle creek with jigging on our minds. The waves were about 2 when we first got out there and ended up being solid 4's with a few 6's thrown in for good measure by the time we quit at 830.

Fishing the jig today was nothing like it was when it was flat 2 weeks ago. I just couldn't get the feel for the presentation at all today. Even though I landed 3 fish I never even felt one of them bite. Lundy helped me out with the limit like a good partner would. We got about 14 or 15 and ended up keeping 11 solid eyes.

The bite started off fast for one of us. Lundy had 5 in the box within the first 20 mins or so. After he refused to let me reel one of his fish in after repeated request I had to break my own ice with a lousy white bass:mad: . The day only got better from there fishing wise. I just started to mimic Lundy and did manage to land 2 eyes. I was a little disapointed with myself. I just couldn't feel bottom for the life of me and Lundy was being stingy about letting me use his anchor as a bottom bouncer. For a mostly largemouth fisherman like myself it was some adverse and rarely seen conditions that I was having trouble coping with fishing wise.

Thanks again for the trip Lundy. Thats one sweet rig you have there sir. Even though we got as little wet and seemed to catch some air between a few waves I never once felt at all scared for my life or anything. I just wish Mother Nature would've cooperated a little more with us on the weather. Cie la vie.

Even though my confidence was feeling a little shaken these fish needed to know that I had not yet begun to fight! I needed redemption and I needed it ASAP so I headed over to Port Clinton with plans of getting on the afternoon headboat for some C&R eye fishing just to prove to myself that I could still knock these little bastards stiff. I abstained on getting my ticket and just got a dozen worms and walked over to the city pier. I was all alone there and the wind was really starting to whip up into a frenzy at about 1030.

I started fishing dropshot rigs tightlined with crawlers with 2 poles. After about 10 mins and 4 fish later I realized using 2 poles was needless. I started to knock the snot out of all sorts of fat cats and big sheepdogs. I know most of you probably laught at that but to tell you the truth I was having more fun fighting these guys than anytime walleye fishing. Long story short I stayed till about 6 and probably caught 35 cats and 10 sheeps in that 7.5 hours. The action was hot and heavy! Very few fish were under 15" with a few of mine topping out at around 8-10lbs and I saw several other really nice 30"+ cats caught around me.

I went to Erie targeting a Fish Ohio walleye and ended up getting 2 others instead. A FO Drum at 25" and a cat at 26" exactly.

What a fun day of reeling in fish no matter what species. The bite was sustained all day until the wind just became unbearable as well as the undercurrent by 6pm. I eventually had on a stinking 4oz weight and it still wouldn't hold bottom with the current.

·
Banned
544 Posts
nice story sticker........and your'e right about the lack of a good fight on the gators........damn near reel em thru the guides, even the big hens.

·
Premium Member
10,892 Posts
Pigsticker,

Glad you afternoon ended up better than the morning. Sorry about that weather, I had no idea it would get that bad.

I would imagine you did have more fun catching sheephead and cats yesterday than anytime you have been walleye fishing, it's always more fun to ACTUALLY catch fish. I guess I should have let you reel a couple of mine in:D

If anyone thinks a walleye can't put up at least a decent tussle hasn't caught them shallow in the spring on spinning tackle.

·
FishBum
2,526 Posts
On 10lb Stealth and ML tackle, they sure hold their own, they're no smally or striper, but they do hold their own! I won't complain about how they fight thats for sure...they make up for it in the frying pan! I hope to feel it again reel soon...the weekend isn't lookin' so good thus far. :-(

Pig, great report and story there buddy!

·
The Original Hot Rod
6,732 Posts
If anyone thinks a walleye can't put up at least a decent tussle hasn't caught them shallow in the spring on spinning tackle.

True that...! ;)

·
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do have to admit from my experiences at the Turtle creek gathering that the eyes do battle harder in April and May than any other time of the year. Is it because they're spawning and are altogether more energetic or something?

·
Registered
11,372 Posts
Thanks for a great description of a sucessful day. Getting the hang of the walleye bite in rough conditions just takes more experience. You were fishing with One of the Best that has tons of experience so don't be discouraged. Those 10# sheephead are a lot of fun. Wait another month when they really get going. Glad you had a fun day.

·
Registered
367 Posts
couple of jigging tips: i like a good low stretch mono around 8lb. cast out in front of the drift and engage the reel so you can see when the line touches bottom. lift-drop retrieve (when you lift the jig comes towards you and then touches bottom) always keep the line tight and i keep my index finger on the blank of the rod above the cork to feel a bite. walleye bite almost always is one thump. use jig just heavy enough to feel bottom depending on conditions (for me usually 1/8-3/8). when the boat catches up to the jig it usually comes at an angle that seems to cause strikes. i always start on the tops of the reefs and work deeper to find the fish and pay close attention to where i find them. i love jigging and it's simple but the details are important.

hope that helps, pik-n-fin

·
Premium Member
10,892 Posts
Pik-N-Fin

Pigsticker is a good fisherman he was just having one of those day that everyone has now and then. I was just having some fun with him.

I also don't think he has a lot of experience fishing jigs in 4ft+ waves with a 1.0 - 1.2 MPH drift.

I really feel bad that he drove all the way up there that morning with that kind of weather. When i went to bed it was forecast as 1-3's, I didn't even check the forecast Wednesday morning when I got up at 4:30. we left the dock at Turtle before 6 and it was fine 2-3's, until around 7.

Just as a side note, a 3/8 jig wasn't going to get to bottom very well while we were out there. A 3/4 was minimum, if I would have had some even heavier jigs in the style I wanted I would have used them.

·
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you really feel bad about making me drive all the way up there for 2 eyes then make me drive up there again for a shot at some smallies to make up for it:) :B :p ;) . I've never ever never ever got a smallie at Erie before and they're my favorite species of fish to boot. I'd be in heaven if I could get into some of those bronze bombers. Lundy I know you're a good enough fisherman to make it happen.:p

ps Don't you love how I invite myself on peoples boats for future trips?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts