close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

5/24 hoover crappies

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by misfit, May 24, 2007.

1. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

met fish4fun at the ramp about 9:30 this morning for a little crappie chasing.we headed to my two favorite spots only to find the carp had invaded,and crappies had booked out of dodge:mad:
    after spending some time trying to find biting fish,we headed to another favorite spot in the middle pool.pulled up on a big willow in the shallows and never moved for over 2 hours:)
    fishing was almost non-stop.mostly sub-9 inch,but quite a few over that,with biggest at 11 inches.numbers made up for lack of size though.e were too busy to count,but we easily boated 50 fish from about a 10 foot circle,with lots of fish coming loose before they made it to the boat.
    all fish were caught on roadrunners.either chart. head with chart./black tail or blue/white tail(crappie thunder,tube).
    the fish were on the outside of cover,and the bite was mostly very very subtle.they either hit on the drop,or stop,or barely moving.couldn't even feel the bite most times.just sudden dead weight or slack.crappies nibbles added a little enticement for them to hold on long eneough to set the hook.
    just a fun day on the water,and i think fish4fun(a bobber crappie fisher) is now a real roadrunner fan:D
    thanks for a fun day,jerry:)

2. You guys are killing me here!! I have been way too busy to get out on the water and it sounds like I am missing some real fun. Maybe I will find a little time this weekend to get out.(fingers crossed)

Yeah, I have been using the roadrunners very heavily this spring. They are definitely a great jig.;)

3. Good work as usual rick and way to get another guy hooked on those road runners. My dad was using one last night while we were using regular jigs and they were attacking it hard at times but as you mentioned alot were just sucking it in lightly and were there. Had some fun on Indian tonight with Matt i was able to jump on his boat and we fished some areas with little success then went to main lake inbetween Antonio's and lakeview and let wind drift us acrossed lake and the eyes were very busy caught a nice batch of them and more boats started fishing same area till it looked like small pack of erie boats guys trolling in and out of drifters but fish were active till close to sunset then shut right off. Man if it was not Memorial weekend i would have boat there going after them. Saw some 3-4 pounders caught!! Great night out!!

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

nice job with the eyes,troy.with the shallow crappie bite soon coming to an end,it's about time to start picking off those hoover eyes.got bored tuesday after a slow crappie day with toad,and decided to troll the roadrunners w/minnies for few passes.boated one short fish and lost another at the boat.time to break out the harnesses.

5. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Hey Rick thanks for the great day out and man it was fun. Yes i have always fished for crappie with a bobber and now today rick showed me how its done with the roadrunners. SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET. was a blast. BRian man you need to take a day off and fish them boys would have a blast with the crappie now.

6. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Fish looks smaller than what it was it was a nice slab around 11 inch or so. Told Rick i would take the pick for the poor guys like Brian that cant get out. Look what your missing man.

[​IMG]

7. Fish4Fun,
    Are you guys simply jigging the roadrunners, or running them slowly through an area?

8. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

steady,sometimes stop/go retrieve.when you think you're retrieving too slow.........go slower.fish would hit many times,on the fall when it hit the water.sometimes when we just stopped the retreive.roadrunners are most effective when worked slowly.but yesterday the fish were very tight lipped for the most part,so we had to slow down more than usual.when they're not in a negative or neutral mood like that,they will smack the bait and usually engulf it.you know when you get bit then.but you have to develope a feel for the hit when they act as they did yesterday,when almost all fish were lip hooked.we lost lots of fish due to them barely getting hooked.

9. Jerry, Don't worry too much about us. Even though we may not get out this weekend we have managed to get out a few times and have put close to a 200 in the boat thus far.:D:D We have managed to find a lot of 10-13" fish with just a few above that up to 13.75" being the biggest. I don't know how excited I am about going out this weekend and fighting for a spot at the ramp.:rolleyes:

Rick, I do need to get down to Hoover with you though. I have never been there and have just heard so much great about it.

10. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

any time,brian.

11. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

errrrr roadrunners~

i would rather use wiley coyote :S

12. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

LOL.no wonder you can't catch crappies:p

this is all you need to slay those slabs:D

Attached Files:

13. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

Meeeh! looks like a girraffe with a nose ring wearing a hula skirt!!
    :D :confused: :D

14. rutty

rutty Cowboy Charters

MisFit,

Looking at ordering some of those RoadRunners, what size do you usually order? 1/32 1/16 1/8 1/4

Thanks

15. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

rutty,i don't think they make them smaller than 1/16 ounce.at least 've never found any.i use 1/16 ounce for casting shallow(10 feet and less)
    1/8 ounce for deeper water and trolling.1'4 ounce can be used for that also.i don't use maribou very often,but prefer crappie thunders,tubes,twitertails,bubble bellies.maribou can be great at times and probably would have worked well under yesterday's conditions due to the subtle action.

16. rutty

rutty Cowboy Charters

I was just going to order them from basspro shop. Are these the ones? if so, they do have them in 1/32
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...er=7387&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

17. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

that be them.glad you posted that.i never noticed those 1/32 ounce ones before.i'll need to get some.they would work for times like yesterday,having a slower fall and staying in the zone longer.i also like the ones with gold willow leaf blades which also aren't found too many places.

18. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

mitch,i bought a couple of those awhile back.good deal.the heads had the gold willow leaf,but i think there were only 6:(
    i'm lovin' those crappie thunder skirts:D
    need to find some blue/white though.i might have to comandeer the wife's mastercard and hit bps up again;)

19. rutty

rutty Cowboy Charters

Cabelas sells the blue/white ones I know.

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ...Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=thunder&noImage=0