close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

5-23 PIKE are hitting (pics)

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by zachtrouter, May 23, 2007.

1. zachtrouter

zachtrouter FISHAHOLIC

Hit the hoga tonight from about 6:45-8:30 by myself looking for pike and pike only. I put the waders on and hit my favorite stretch of the river and hit it hard. It was hot as hell out and I was wearing the neoprene chest waders sweating my a$$ off! I ended up 3 for 4 using topwater and spinnerbaits! Here is the 1st and biggest one at about 26inches[​IMG] Second on topwater[​IMG] The 3rd on a spinnerbait[​IMG] Here is a pic of the 1st fish swimming away unharmed as they all were.[​IMG]

2. Good job.Nice fish.....

3. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

looks like a good time...glad you got into some.

4. Good way to lose weight! Neoprene on 80 degree days!:p

5. Great job. Northerns are a lot of fun.

You might try this...Buy a few 1/2 ounce Rattletraps. The pike seem to like the louder colors like firetiger, orange and yellow, etc. Take the regular hooks off and replace the tail hook with a snap swivel and snap on a small Colorado blade. Then replace the belly hook with a slightly larger treble.

The larger treble gives better hookups and usually prevents the pike from taking the bait so deep into their mouths as northerns have a tendency to do. The colorado blade on the tail gives the bait more "hang time" meaning it slows the bait down so they can target it easier, and being on the tail of the bait like that, the fish won't get hooked deep in the gills when they engulf it during the strike.

You'll need a small wire leader too, of course, but they northerns don't mind steel leaders. Try to pull the bait through the water as slow as you can to trigger strikes.

I like to use spinnerbaits too, but sometimes the northerns will slow down with the spinnerbait bite and that's often when the modified Rattletrap works great.

6. TheSonicMarauder

TheSonicMarauder Yes i slept on the couch

sweet zach....Glad to see that they are are still hungry :D i was starting to think that maybe i had missed the pike action since ive been so busy with school and work.... might have to head out after this weekend at the cabin :D

7. Generally what section of the 'Hoga is good for pike? Cuy Falls? Munroe Falls? Farther North? Maybe tell me what County? I have fished my local section of the river often in years past with no pike, just wondered where they hung out.

Huntinbull

8. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

Up river from Cuyahoga Falls has treated me better for pike than downstream from Cuyahoga falls.

Good = Kent,Monroe Falls
    Not So Good= Cascade Park, The Valley, Peninsula, Boston Mills Brandywine, Brecksville.

flash----------------------------------------out

9. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

VCIII that sounds like a killer modification to a rattle trap.
    slows the bait down ...tempt the pike longer.

have to remember that one.
    cheers

10. zachtrouter

zachtrouter FISHAHOLIC

A good place to start is waterworks area and work upstream with waders or small boat if possible. Once you get closer to munroe falls though the water gets so shallow for a good stretch that its just better to turn around and re-hit the same water on the way back. Lots of downed trees and nice liitle holes where the pike sit and ambush thierr prey.

11. Nice fish zach...the hoga is on fire lately....me and danadelman went out a couple weeks ago i didnt know if u saw this pike out of the hoga but it was a monster....we had a really good day with the pike also....total had 4 hook ups.....but only was able bring in this guy....i posted it earlier so sorry if you already saw it...

[​IMG]