close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

5/20 The Dead C was HOT today

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by larryfish, May 20, 2004.

1. Hit CC at 9:30 a.m. with Taxiecab a.k.a CC Kid and we tore up the crappie. We caught over 50 today with most 10” or better! Taxiecab caught an 11.75” and a 12”. Nice fish taxiecab! These were some quality crappie. We also caught a few bonus KY bass, a couple sheephead and a few dink saugeye. All fish were released and most of them were still with eggs.

Big thanks to Taxiecab for saving my 9’ Eagle Claw Feather Light :D . I had it over the opposite side of the boat with a night crawler while I was casting a jig. The pole took off :eek: and Taxie grabbed it by the butt as it was on its way out of the boat. Get this, he was even nice enough to hand me the pole! I hauled in a nice carp 5 or 6 pounds. ( :D You lovin it Catking? :D )

Bye the way Takiecab I stole your minnow net by accident :mad: . Sorry, I’ll give it back to you next time. Thanks again for taken me out on your boat, I had a great day, as always.

LarryFish

2. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

thanks for the report! It is good to hear about CC since I am at school and can't get back to fish there.

3. Thanks Larry for the great day on the DEAD SEA{wink}. It is nice to fish with some one who can help out with the poles when you have more than you can handel . It was for the most part a single pole day. When you have both bobbers go out of sight at the same time it can get a little confusing for us seniors so we need some HELP from the younger guys.
    Rember the major feed periods. They will make or break you fishing days. If you don't know or follow the Major Feed periods you are missing the boat. If you are not a follower than I suggest you at least try them out and see what a difference it makes.

4. Fins

Fins

Hey Larryfish,
    I was out at CC that evening, and could not get a bite. Were the fish you caught in the deep, or still in the coves? I am going to try to get out on Sunday, and any more info would be helpfull. Glad to hear you guys did so well. Thanks

5. catking

catking Banned

That's one of the best reports I've read in a long while from CC larryfish !!! You actually caught a 6 pound carp :eek: .........And the crappie sounds good also :D Them are some quality crappie. Nice to hear some good reports !! THE CATKING !!! :)

6. Fins: In the previous report from Taxiecab it mentions the major feeds and you are fishing after the feed periods. On tuesday I was there with some one else and a couple of guys were at the Spillway bait shope and said they had been on the lake from 600 am and had marked fish but could not get a bite. They had fished from 600am till 930 am and that is when they were at the bait store with out any fish or bites. My partner and I got on the water about 10am and the major feed was from 11am thru 100 pm. In 3 hours we kept 32 keeper size crappie from 91/2 to 113/4" and at 100pm they just about stopped so we went home. On thursday Larry and I did the same thing and killed em again but never kept a fish and had over 40 keppers up to 12". Next week the major feed will be in the early mornings and late evenings so you need to adjust to the feed times if you can.
    The crappie are in a holding pattern and some were deep and some were supended shallow. This is cause by all of the storms that go thru every evening and will continue as long as the weather pattern holds like this.

fOLLOW THE MAJOR FEED PERIODS

7. Fins

Fins

Thanks Taxiecab,
    Guess I just need to work on my timing. Can you tell me what seems to turn them on. Is it water temp, clarity ,moon phases, barometric pressures? I have been out with a friend on his boat, and we do have about an hour or two during the whole day that we do good, and the rest of the time we don't.
    Thanks,
    Scott aka Fins

8. Fins

Fins

Thanks mrfishohio,
    You posted this just before I posted.

9. Fins, listen to Taxiecab, he is the CC guru. If you practice what he preaches you will catch fish more consistently. The low light periods are generally productive any day, but you can’t ignore the lunar feeding periods, especially when the weather is stable.

Catking, oh yeah! :D carp on a crappie pole baby, with 4 lb. test. Talk about a ride. :eek: If it wasn’t for Taxie I’d be minus another rod & reel. Come to think about it, it’s the biggest fish I’ve caught all year. But I haven't been to Erie......yet ;)

We truly did catch some nice crappie. I would love to be fishing the Crappie USA regional in a couple of weeks at CC and have a repeat day like we did on Thursday.

LarryFish
    :p Carpie USA touring pro :p

10. catking

catking Banned

Carpie USA touring pro.....JEEZE US :rolleyes: DA KING !!! OH YEA !!!!!!!!!!!!

11. I fished in the EF crappie tournament on Sunday 23. It only took a 10 fish limit of 4.98 lbs. to win it and big fish was 1.07! :eek: The past two tournaments it took 8.60 and 7.11 to win. Now I know you have to contribute part of it to the post spawn bite, but there were only two fish brought to the scales that were 12" or better. The major feeding times for that day were from 3:05 a.m. - 5:05 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. It's not uncommon, when conditions are right, to have a 10 fish limit of 9 lbs. or better to win.