close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

5/19 - Out and about

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Zom B., May 19, 2007.

1. Zom B.

Zom B. disMembered

Early this morning, I decided to drop by a couple of lakes I had never been to. I started at Kendall, but didn't stay long, as my breakfast wasn't sitting right with me, and the air temp was very cold (a hard frost had set in). I tossed a Senko around, but only got a few short-strikes. I noted that the lake was very weedy; much more so than I had anticipated.

I got back in the truck to warm up, and proceeded over to a friends house to settle the digestion. On the way, I stopped by Judge's Lake. There was a lot of algal growth around the periphery, although I did manage to nab a trout. Then, I was off again.

At this point, it was around 9:30, and the sun was starting to peek out of the clouds a little, so I decided to stop by a small private lake owned by an acquaintance of mine. I arrived around 10, and almost immediately, it began to cloud up and rain again, and the temp dropped about 5 degrees, it seemed. However, I was feeling a little better, so I tied on a watermelon/red fleck tube, and a olive Swayback, and went to work. For reference, the water was in the upper fifties, with two to three feet of visibility, and limited weed growth.

First cast in with the tube, and I hooked up with a bass that was still on the bed. It wasn't remarkably sized, but it was a nice start. I worked the small flat for a little while, and just missed a couple of more fish. There were a few moving in and out of that area, and they were not really striking too convincingly.

Next, I switched to the topwater for a while, and I managed to land about 5 decently sized bass over the next couple of hours, while losing several more, "quick-release" style. A couple of the bass still had some of the tail-damage left over from spawning, but were very lively, and strongly colored. The smaller fish (below 12 inches) were very aggressive, and were attacking the bait, although most were much too small. In any case, many of the bass were very aggressive, and the best retrieve seemed to be a moderately fast, steady retrieve. The topwater bite died down around 1 PM.

Next, I targeted some of the smaller bass that I was missing. I tied on a bluegill-imitating fly, and worked the shallows. Again, the smaller bass were very aggressive, and I got quite a few hits. Unfortunately, I missed several of the first fish due to the fact that the monofilament guard on the fly was much too stiff. After I removed it, I began hooking them much more easily.

Finally, I went around one last time with a wacky-rigged Senko, in junebug, and landed a few more of the less-active fish. Some were hitting on the fall, after a quick lift off of the bottom, and others were taking it while on the bottom. The circle hooks I was using came in handy, it seems, as some of the fish were trying to swallow the bait, yet I was able to avoid any gut-hooked bass.

Over the course of the day, the weather went from very cold, to warm and sunny, to windy and rainy, to sunny, and finally to cool and rainy, again. But, like I said, most of the bass seemed very active, and the choppy water, coupled with the light rain, really seemed to help the topwater bite today.

I will try to post a couple of pictures when I get a chance.

2. Zom B.

Zom B. disMembered

Here are a few of the pictures that came out (the pics my brother-in-law took were too dark). These fish were around 15 inches, give or take, depending on the fish.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]