Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Lake Erie Charter Captain
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, brother an I went out to give trolling a shot for the first time.

Got going about 8am, pulling meat 1.7-2.0mph on 30 jets, 40 & 60 back.
2 in first 30 minutes on gold blade/ red beads 40 back. Nothing all day on other harness.

Also ran #0 dips set on 3, Confusion 60 back, Monkey puke 70 back. 6 for 8 on these.

Switched harness over to #1 dip, 0 setting, Pulled some custom painted spoons (pic below) 35-45 back. 4 of 7 on these.

Little slow but constant, never more then 30 minute with out a pull back.

Ended up with our 2 tickets (mostly 20"-21"), Lost a nice one at the boat, by 12:45.

Stayed between Green and Rattlesnake, Good marks.

Larry

·
Registered
841 Posts
Lepatt, great report and photos.Good to see others willing to share information.We fished your water on Thursday in that nasty fog, and caught a few casting weapons and some on spoons behind jets.Friday we fished with the big group SW of green, and got nine with a couple of C&R's at the boat. We caught fish casting gold harnesses, some deep and some up high. "Slow" trollers were doing better, but I can't get my Thompson under 2.5, so It will be a couple of weeks before we can get consistant with spoons.Each day we started out with a 27" fish, then the solid 20-22" fish thru the day. Got a few fish south of starve each trip also, but they didn't seem to be there in numbers yet. Wish more folks would be open with success information on the VHF, really a sad reflection on us as a group that the majority on Erie feel some need to "code" all of there location information.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Lepatt, great report and photos.Good to see others willing to share information.We fished your water on Thursday in that nasty fog, and caught a few casting weapons and some on spoons behind jets.Friday we fished with the big group SW of green, and got nine with a couple of C&R's at the boat. We caught fish casting gold harnesses, some deep and some up high. "Slow" trollers were doing better, but I can't get my Thompson under 2.5, so It will be a couple of weeks before we can get consistant with spoons.Each day we started out with a 27" fish, then the solid 20-22" fish thru the day. Got a few fish south of starve each trip also, but they didn't seem to be there in numbers yet. Wish more folks would be open with success information on the VHF, really a sad reflection on us as a group that the majority on Erie feel some need to "code" all of there location information.
Do yourself a favor and get two 22 or 28 inch Trolling Bags from Amish Outfitters and you will be able to get down as slow as you want. Run them off the midship cleats and they will stay out of the way for setting lines / netting fish and out of the way of the props.

Pulled two bigger fish 27 inches between Starve and the Miller Ferry dock on South Bass on Wed morning first two fish - one on a dipsey harness and the other on a Bare Naked Reef Runner, but then just smaller fish the rest of the day. Friday late morning the bite was real good near the miller ferry dock as well. Didn't matter what - pulled fish on harnesses, spoons, cranks. Speed between 1.7 and 2.0 with most fish coming on pretty radical (30 degree) turns.

Steve

·
Registered
841 Posts
Steve, thanks for the advice and report, I have been on the lake in several different boats for 30yrs, but still learning form fine folks like you.We tried to run my big bag behind the Thompson one time and that didn't work worth a carp, gave the auto pilot all kinds of headaches. Also had my first real fog navigation lesson Thursday, south passage was a scarry place with 50' visability........YIKES hearing the ferry's horns, seeing their wake and trying to figure out where they were.I pity anyone who didn't have reliable GPS units that day. Do you think the fish are moving into/thru the island area, will we find them around AE shoals in the next few weeks........? Thanks ( Aquaholic-Fox Haven)

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
HT / Aquaholic,

The area near the Miller Ferry Dock to Starve can be good for a while - and is definitely a major migration path for fish heading east. The interesting thing is a week ago the big flat between Kelley's and South Bass was pretty loaded with fish and not much happening there this week. AE shoal / and to the north up in the deeper water by the stone dock and around the North side should be good locations. Friday with the pack and the Miller Ferry running through the radical turns that induced a lot of strikes were at first not on purpose, but after seeing that we were definitely triggering strikes with the turns we continued this. There were some REAL HIGH fish active - like top 6 feet of the water column.
Steve

·
Registered
841 Posts
Another trick that will go in my book........thanks again, we saw that too in the pack over by green, for a while the fish were coming from short counts and very near the boat, then about noon, they were down, and we picked them up slow in the mud. Hope some of these fish stay in the flats/AE shoal area for a couple of weeks, great on saving a little gas. I hope you are not working like me today.......you should have that center console screaming on the water.....!

·
Lake Erie Charter Captain
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the comments, this being my full first year on Erie, I have yet to us the VHF, listen alot. I will start posting on here when I am going out, any one can give me a shout out there, I will be more then happy to let you know if when are doing any good or not, and the location/ Program running.

Larry
Spoonfeeder ch68/79

1 - 8 of 8 Posts