close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

40 hp merc 2cyl vs 3cyl

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Muskarp, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Muskarp

Muskarp Banned

What's the difference between the 2cyl and 3cyl 40 hp 2 strokes in the 2003 year range? Is one better than the other? Heard that the 3cyl burns more fuel because it's a rich running 50. Any truth to this? Thanks.

2. I have a 2003 Merc 40 2 cycle, 3 cylinder. The best I can tell you is the following. I was told that the extra cylinder gives you a smoother idle. Mine idles smooth, but never run a 2 cylinder. My gas consumption is reasonable; I can't use a 6.5 gallon tank in one day of solid fishing in Canada lakes or Erie with long distance runs. I usually use 4 gallons in a full day of fishing. The are heavier and larger than the 2 cylinder. I was sold mine with the recommendation of dealer that it ran smoother trolling. I runs and runs and runs after hours of trolling, but maybe a 2 cylinder does also...

3. basstrackerman

basstrackerman marshall

i was told the 3 cylinder runs smoother also.i have the 2 cylinder and it runs very smooth. so there must not be enough to tell the diff.

4. There is no replacement for displacement. More cylinders means more cubic inches= work less to produce the same horse power as the two cylinder.

Also, I believe it is only the three cylinder that you can buy a kit to convert it to a screaming 66 horsepower also. Fella on the Refuge sells the kits for I think around $600 and the guys that run them say they are the cats pajamas.

Were I given a choice it would be the three over the two every time.

5. Muskarp

Muskarp Banned

Thanks guys. I had my "I" on a 2 cylinder and wondered if it may be a bad choice. Doesn't really sound like it will be a problem. Would be nice to be able to upgrade. But if that were the case I should just look for a larger unit. If price is right I'll have to snag it.