Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many are using the 350 legend I just got mine together last nite AR platform anyone have any issues Im using 180 grn Winchester deer hog bear loads I cant wait to shoot it The last minute ritual again

·
'Super Moderator'
14,397 Posts
I use the American Whitetail Hornady 170gr. It prints best out of my rifle...followed closely by the Winchester 180gr.

Tried the Hornady 165gr ballistic tip and was not at all impressed with its terminal effect unless heavy bone was hit. I shot a doe...two buddies shot deer with these as well. All broadside, heart/lung shots with same size entrance and exit holes. Absolutely no expansion. Deer ran with very little to no blood trail. And when I dressed mine...pencil size hole through top of heart. Also...shot mine with snow on the ground and as already mentioned...two of us looked for blood from where Deer was standing and trailing nothing but prints in the snow...finally found some very light spotting about 40yds over a hill. Deer was about another 40-50 down the hill piled up in some brush. Did the bullet kill the deer...yup. Had the snow not been on the ground to track prints...it would have been very hard to find her.
Since I'm a meat Hunter mostly...I usually wait for that heart lung shot. But here's a deer shot last year that was headed for a wall of deep, extra heavy thicket I surely didn't want him to get into. He was about 20' from getting into that thicket so took a high shoulder shot on him using the Hornady 170gr at about 145yds and he was DRT. He dropped and never moved another inch:
People in nature Hunting Wood Sunglasses Plant

The soft lead nosed bullet...though it totally destroyed one shoulder and partially the other...did exactly what it was supposed to do.

FWIW...kinda waiting to get my hands on some of the new Barnes 350 all copper 170gr rounds. Think at the velocity the 350's shoot at that this all copper bullet will expand as good as the Barnes all copper muzzle loader bullets.

·
'Super Moderator'
14,397 Posts
I’m interested in the Barnes bullets for the 350 as well. The expansion should be perfect based on my muzzle loader results.
Yep...and trust me...the Hornady 350 legend 165gr ballistic tip act just like the Hornady SST's when shot out of a m/l.
They are surgical no doubt...the reason I kept trying to make them work for so many years. But they just don't expand unless bone is hit.
The Barnes fly just as true as the SST's and expand beautifully.
I
Like you...I expect the Barnes 350 round to do the same.
But at $45 a 20 rd box...they sure are proud of em.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Stacy, that was a nice buck your shot last year.! Don’t remember you posting a pic? If you did, I missed it. Son is shooting the 350 Legend-Hornady 170 gr too. He is anxious to see how the bullet performs too. Gonna try and get a doe for some trail bologna. Will let everyone know how it does. Yeah those Barnes rounds are a little expensive for a box of 20!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I cannot believe that the expensive Barnes bullets could perform any better that the Hornady 170s I’ve used. I mean dead is dead. I have always liked Hornady ammo and my preference for the 170 initially was just because they grouped so well in the first 2 guns I built. The great performance just elevated that. I have friends that use the Winchester soft points with good success as well, just because that is what their guns preferred.
I have processed 2 deer that were shot using the Winchester ballistic tips and I did not like the way those performed. They did results in one shot kills but there was no blood trails for short recovery distances and internally there was not near the damage that the soft points did.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
We've shot 3 deer with ours . 2 with the 180 grain soft point Winchester's and one with the 160 grain core bonded Winchester HP .

I liked the results of all three. I kinda lean towards a bigger heavier bullet myself . So plan to stick with the 180s as long as I can get them .

·
'Super Moderator'
14,397 Posts
Stacy, that was a nice buck your shot last year.! Don’t remember you posting a pic? If you did, I missed it. Son is shooting the 350 Legend-Hornady 170 gr too. He is anxious to see how the bullet performs too. Gonna try and get a doe for some trail bologna. Will let everyone know how it does. Yeah those Barnes rounds are a little expensive for a box of 20!
Thanks Ken.
Can't remember If'n I posted a pic or not.
Best of luck to your son, you and all hunting with you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts