Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
A Fisherman
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a fly rod maker that has a full wells grip on a 3 wt or less rod? All of them seem to have the cigar shaped grips and not one I prefer. I suspect I may have to resort to building my own.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
build your own. its great.

btw: looking at 3wt? look at modern fiberglass. steffens are great. s glass, which means theyre a bit faster than standard e glass, which are slow like boo.

·
A Fisherman
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sbreech: Thinking of even more of a flare towards the tip end of the handle. I have a cheap japanese made US military issue fly/spin bamboo rod that had a full flared end aka full wells grip. I love grip but the bamboo rod is too tip heavy for my reels while it has a nice full flex, the quality is indeed lacking.

Patrico: I would love to build my own and it may look like I may have to since 3 wt and under with that type of grip appears extremely rare. Unfortunately for me, the fly fishing club that offers a class in rod building has already finished that class and only offers it 1 time a year.

Regarding fiberglass, are they not heavy? Probably go the bamboo route before going fiberglass. In which case, it may never happen as the cost of a quality bamboo is outside of my budget/priorities.

·
El Fly Guy
1,846 Posts
I'll keep looking for you then. I just did a search for images of the full wells grip...looks pretty comfortable, giving a "ledge" to put the tip of your thumb or forefinger (depending on casting hand position). I like it. Perhaps you could pick up a fair priced rod and change the grip out to something you would like?
[/COLOR]
Yup, fiberglass is heavier, but it is also more resilient than graphite. Not as sensitive, and heavier, but can take way more abuse. Not as elegant as bamboo, but needs less TLC.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
please, modern glass isnt that much heavier.

a new diamondglass
Glass – 8’ 4 wt. 3 pc. (3.9 oz.)

sage advantage graphite.
480 VAN 8'0" 4 2 51 1/2 2 9/16 $225.00

and its a world away. casting is much more artful on glass. try it, you will probably be hooked.

as for boo, too expensive. you can get a custom steffen rod for $350, made to your order by mark in arizona. a ***** boo costs twice that at least.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
that can be pretty difficult nowadays...
sadly true. but I do what I can. I having nothing against china, except for their human rights violations, lack of free press, literally slave working conditions... I just dont want to support it to save a few bucks while putting my neighbors in the welfare line.

·
El Fly Guy
1,846 Posts
sadly true. but I do what I can. I having nothing against china, except for their human rights violations, lack of free press, literally slave working conditions... I just dont want to support it to save a few bucks while putting my neighbors in the welfare line.
I agree with all you say here - which is why my family will NOT go to Wally*World. We ACTIVELY pursue items made in the U.S.A., but at times, we can't find them. For example, I wanted a new rod, willing to spend around $100.00 (NOT a fly rod.) I looked at the Vendetta rod, and guess what - made in China. SO, I dropped a few more dollars and got the St. Croix. I have, however, purchased a very cheap UL fly rod, made in China - because I wanted to try the UL fly rod fishing. To be quite honest, it is pretty dang nice. Some day soon I will have a Sage or Orvis to grace my hands, but right now, no.

Sometimes for a novelty item or an ultra-cheap purchase to try something out, the Chinese purchases aren't bad, but to be honest, I don't know that last good invention or technological advance was that came out of China - or even Asia for that matter. Was it gun powder? Even with that, I buy American ammo. :D

·
Fly guy
1,239 Posts
I found this photo of Patricio, if this clarifies things for you:

:D
Lmao! Beat me to it

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
M.saxatilis x M.chrysops
3,310 Posts
My assumption is that a full wells grip gives you more leverage on a heavier rod. Since that leverage is not needed on light rods, they don't typically use them.

I assume this because all of my heavier rods have full wells grips on them, while my lighter rods have the half & then cigar variations. Lighter rods don't flex into your hand as much & I would imagine benefit from having your grip close to the axis of the shaft.

G

·
btw, i don't think the word "*****" is appropriate here. everyone has an opinion on chinese-made goods, including myself, but it can be better expressed.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts