Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
State record bass or bust
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to go to Toledo this morning to clean up some spilled milk from a business transaction yesterday and decided to make a few cast at Delaware spillway. I got 5 eyes and a fat carp in about 2 hours. The biggest saugeye was this 23 1/2" beauty which is my new PB saugeye also. I also got 3 other eyes a 5" and 2 that went about 16". I threw back the 16"ers to grow for another day, my minimum is 18" for keepers. I kept the nice one for a buddy who likes fish. The carp was 27", I thought I had a new world record saugeye on.

After losing a Rogue on my first few cast I switched to an orange 3" twister on a 1/8oz ball head jig. Getting the big ones to do what you want in the current on 6lb test isn't easy.

So with the bass from last week and the eye and carp from today thats 3 different FO's before Easter. I only need 2 more species for the Master Angler award which is my first goal of the year every year. It'll probably come on crappie and bluegill while fishing spinners for bass. Last year I got 5 FO crappie (1 that was 17") and 2 FO gills this way. If I get desperate im pretty sure I can muster us a FO channel cat without too much hassle also.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I thought it was only 4 for the MA? Congrats on the nice fish so early. Next you'll have to spend some time chasing the fish that qualify for the new award they started a couple years ago (the name slips me right now).

·
Super Moderator
3,988 Posts
Hey Kerry!!

FYI you will only need 1 more FO to get the master angler status!!
Congradulations dude....at first i started reading ....on my way to Toledo and thought you were gonna have a story about Walleye for us :)
Just as good or better that it happened closer to home.

your on a hot streak and only motha nature can stop you.
take the challenge...lets see ya pull some fish as they shut down this weekend ;)

Throw me some of that luck you beast!!

·
Lucky Fisher, or skilled?
1,887 Posts
Get that Master Pen. Almost there 1 more. Congrats. lets hope i can do that in a day LOL. :D

good fishin.

also go for the Grad slam Award, 3 fish, but they have to be cught in a inland lake, lake erie or Ohio RIver. for inland lakes IT has to be a 21 inch LM, 21 inch saugeye and a 36 inch Muskie. Go get em, you have 2 (LM and S-eye) that would be a great accomplishment. The masters and Grand Slam.

·
Senior Executive Member
1,285 Posts
nice fish!

I am still trying to hit the 21" mark with a saugeye. it'll happen this season, I am confident. especially since I have only been fishing for saugeye since last winter and caught several 19-20" fish.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
:) Amazing what you can catch from a place with no fish! Oh yeah and on a 1/8th ounce jig with orange tail to boot!!! Good job!! What was the water flow like and when were you there i had some buddies there today?

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
lol nice job. that was quick.

·
State record bass or bust
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Slim I was there from noon till about 2ish. The water is still way too fast of a flow for my liking.

I think im starting to get the feel of those light tapping eyes on the jig, look out now!:B

New Breed i'll be trying very hard to pull some big bass this weekend. In Guntersville though not around here. The high for the weekend there is only going to be 56 with a nightime low on Sat of 28, talk about shutdown. It's been in the 80's for the last 2 weeks and the fish are in full spawn. With the water temps in the mid to high 70's everywhere on the upper half of the lake where i'll be fishing. Time to dust off that 9" Slug-go and size 8 gammy hook.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Have fun at Guntersville, that places has some real hawgs. If I could go out of state I would goto Clear Lake in Cali within the next week or so...especially after seeing the weights brought in at the Elite Series events there were record setting.

Good luck with your Master Angler!

·
Multi Species Angler
6,259 Posts
Color me jealous. I guess some days, they just don't want to bite? You were there on a day that they were wanting to bite. Congratulations!

Way to go Pigsticker, you are on a roll!

CG

1 - 12 of 12 Posts