3 days on Ohio Brush Creek

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Riverman, May 4, 2008.

1. Riverman

Riverman Banned

A good friend and I spent 3 days floating down the OBC and had a great time even if we did get out a day early because of the rain mudding it up. This was the 19th year we have taken this trip. The water was low and clear and just beautiful. We caught more smallies then I can count, some nice crappies, couple of white bass but no sauger this year - all fish were released this year.
    We strickly used small jigs with twister tails. We each take two rods one with just a jig and the other with a jig under a BulletBobber. The fish spooked easily and as most know if you can see them they can see you and then you don't catch them. Drifting and paddling down stream we would always try to slow or stop above a hole and get in a couple casts before moving on or we would steer a BulletBobber into good spot and work it around trees etc...
    Smallies are territorial this time (spawning) of year and you hardly catch more then 2 from a spot but they hit hard and just about always jump 2 or 3 times.

Oh well - good fishing - beautiful creek - can't ask for more then that!

2. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

Did you fish close to the OR or mostly upstream?TC1

3. Riverman

Riverman Banned

We started below searpant mound and planned to run down to about a mile from the Ohio River if the rain didn't muddy it up. We ended up pulling out about 3 miles south of Peebles on route 41 and a good 2 days of paddling from the Ohio. I have never fished the outfall if that is what you want to know about.

4. creekwalker

creekwalker Moving water...

Sounds like a good trip. We do a Thanksgiving trip about every year to two, but only a day trip. It's always lower on the creek too and I don't seem to have as much lick with the fish. Maybe I'll try further upstream next time. Sound like a good time.

When you say "low and clear", does that mean you were dragging the boat a lot? I've driven by the upper stretches quite a bit, but never had a boat on them. I wondered how the water is normally and if its easily floatable (meaning I don't have to drag the boat).

CW

5. Riverman

Riverman Banned

A plastic canoe is the only way to go because they can easily slide over most rocks. I have an Old Town Sportsman canoe and it is wide and sits high. We had to get out push it a couple times but usually the guy in front will say "Ramming Speed" meaning give it couple hard strokes and we will carry over most spots. We also are hard on paddles by pushing off the bottom to keep it going when dragging.
    Believe me low and clear is better then muddy and high because you must be able to see no matter what and be fairly good at controling the canoe to go exactly where you want. If you hit anything unexpectedly you could be in trouble in trouble.

We travel light considering we are going for 4 days and like some basic conforts such as break down aluminum cots. We take a water filter, ice, juice and a little liquer but no beer! Candles are great for night time and light things up better then you would think.

19 years without any unexpected swimming sesions is something I am proud of!