close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

3 boat questions

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Bryan Reid, Jun 3, 2005.

1. #1 I recently purchased a 16+ ft. fishing boat with a steering console and 35 HP engine. I'd like to add a smaller engine so I can continue to fish Hoover and was wondering if a second engine could be attached to the same steering console as the 35? If so, is it difficult to do and is it expensive?

#2 Does anyone know where I can find a reasonably priced and reliable 9.9?

#3 Is anyone interested in purchasing a used 10 ft. Fisher aluminum Jon boat? I also have a 4ft X 8ft utility trailer to carry it around. If interested, please make an offer for one or both.

Thanks!

2. Sorry - didn't realize there was a boat forum - will repost

3. #1 I recently purchased a 16+ ft. fishing boat with a steering console and 35 HP engine. I'd like to add a smaller engine so I can continue to fish Hoover and was wondering if a second engine could be attached to the same steering console as the 35? If so, is it difficult to do and is it expensive?

#2 Does anyone know where I can find a reasonably priced and reliable 9.9?

#3 Is anyone interested in purchasing a used 10 ft. Fisher aluminum Jon boat? I also have a 4ft X 8ft utility trailer to carry it around. If interested, please make an offer for one or both.

Thanks!

4. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I know you can get a bracket that mounts from your main motor to your kicker, which allows you to steer both from the same console.

As for the others, you might want to post them in the buy/sell/swap forum. You'll get more exposure there, than in a regional forum.

5. #1 I can't give any insight on that one as I have never tried that.

#2 I don't have one for sale but you may want to specify whether you are looking for a long shaft or short shaft model. Also, you may need to answer question #1 before knowing exactly what you need (tiller model or steering)

#3 I don't remember who the member was but just a week or so ago there was a younger member who was in search of a small boat. I am not sure of the name but you may want to search the OGF Marketplace for it. Also, you can place it in a separate thread in the OGF Marketplace and it may get more attention.

6. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

A friend at work who trolls Lake Erie has a small metal rod that connects his 9.9 with his 90 hp so he can use his steering wheel to turn his 9.9.

It can be done but I don't know if you need special attachments on the motors.

7. You can buy the connection kit for the two motors from Cabelas. My fishing partner bought one a couple of years ago for around 35.00. Neat set up. Spring release, quick hook-up and release. We have it hooked up to a 40hp and a 9.9.

8. dfoxfish

dfoxfish chairbustintruckdrowner

Bryan Reid.

i did this, but it helps if they are the same breed of motor. i had two rudes with a removable rod between them. 1 was a 9.9 and the other is my 35 horse. i don't have the 9.9 any more, but i have a 7.5 merc in it's place. that'll take some work to tie those together and since it's borrowed from a friend, i'll probably just sit back there and steer. :rolleyes:

9. Thanks to all for your assistance.

10. Just Did Mind Boat Like That , I Have A 90 Mer. And A 9.9 Mer As My Kicker
    It Took 3 Hours To Run The New Cables And Wires But Was Not Bad.and They Make A Connecting Rod With Quick Connects That You Have To Bend Yourself And Connect Your Motors Together , Love It. You Will Have About 120 Dollar In Parts .

11. meisterdog

meisterdog mr. saturday night

You can get the rod at Gander Mountain for around 20.00. That is all I needed to hook together my 50 horse and 6 horse johnson motors onto my 16 foot lowe boat. You can ajust the rod and cut if needed. Works great. Good luck.

Cabelas also has the rod as well. This should be all you need if the small motor is a pull start.

12. If you have not taken any of these fine suggestions yet, Try this:

You probably still have to go to the motor location to: pull start; adjust speed; change gears Fwd, Neut, Rev; shut off, choke etc.

I worry about maneuvering in close quarters with only steering. Disconnecting mechanisim between motors is sometimes needed in an instant. Things can get confusing when approaching a $$$ docked or moving boat.

What I do is tighten the kicker motor steering adjustment enough to keep it from turning, keep my main engine lowered but off, and steer using the main engine as a rudder. Works great for trolling, and in and out of harbors when wind is less than 10kts.

13. PS
    Be sure both propellers clear, and that one motor does not hit the other shift lever, regardless of which method you use.