Ohio Game Fishing banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
I purchased my crossbow off of Craigslist for $125 in 1996. I had it restrung at FFF on Bagley Rd. after a few years and purchased some bolts there also. A few broadheads and my homemade ladder stand on my property. If I had to do it again I would do it the same way...used crossbow. All these high price bows,tools and gimmick things are only to sell the hunters more stuff. I have shot 2-3 deer almost every year with the $125 CB. as far as the other gimmick stuff my wife hunts on the ground during rifle season in Canada and shoots a buck every year. no scents no carbon filtering scent proof clothing. none of that stuff....kind of like bandit walleye deep lures in 200 colors. only to catch your $$$$. You will alway be able to hunt on the cheap.... just figure it out. Do you think Alvin York used deer scents and camo clothes and deer stands in KY in his youth. I don't think so. Woodsmanship and smart hunting skills.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Same thing with fishing poles! Why spend 500 to 1000 dollars for a fishing rod If you are not a tourney fisherman, where you can win your money back or you have a sponser? I can bet you that I can catch just as many fish with 100 dollar set-up ( rod and lures ) then most people can catch with there $1000's!
I still use a St. Croix rod that I bought about 1964 for under $10.00. It works fine for my use...

·
Johnny tsunami
3,789 Posts
I know one thing... Slugs sure are expensive this year! I bought a slug gun a few years back the h&r single shot 20g for around 260 i don't need a $1000 gun to shoot 100y max plus its got better accuracy rating than any slug gun in its class but no body likes a single shot why idk i know i only need one shot! The only thing is them hornady sst slugs i found are hands down the best in that gun i mean i can get a 1" group of 4 at 150y no problem. But $16 a box makes target practice a hopeful 3 shot ordeal!

·
Registered
199 Posts
The people spending these amounts just want to look like the photos in magazines and online. They think if they look the part then that makes them hunters.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
There is nothing wrong with spending that much on a crossbow if that’s what you want. No reason to put someone down if they do for whatever reason they feel fit just because you can’t afford it or don’t feel you need/want it for whatever reason. Remember what country you people live in!! It’s their choice, surprised by a few of these post. Kinda un-American if you ask me. Remember we are allowed to make our own decisions.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Some people have more dollars than sense....LOL.
In your opinion. Who are you or me to say that? Some people have $1500 house payments while others paid cash for a $40k home that completely serves the purpose. Could go on and on, just depends what someone wants. I surely have no right to tell someone what they should or shouldn’t buy because I have my own beliefs for my own needs or wants. I have friends who deer hunt with $200 used mossbergs and others who use $1000+ dollar brownings. Are the browning owners idiots because they honestly don’t kill more or bigger deer than my mossberg friends?

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Man, theirs a couple ladies around here that sure do get all sorts of butt hurt when one person posts something that isn't exactly what they want to hear. I guess it's to be expected out of a $3000 crossbow guy though eh? ; )

21 - 31 of 31 Posts