Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just paging through the latest catalog I got in the mail,amazing.I saw a crossbow for 3 thousand dollars,that's more than my first car.A few pages later turkey loads $10.00 a shot or more?Will hunting in the future be for the wealthy only?I like to keep thing simple I guess.I realize prices have gone up since I started hunting back in 1982 but this seems extreme.

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,924 Posts
Yep! Saw this in the latest FFF flyer, along with other bows priced in the multi-thousand dollar range! Why not just hire a guy to go out and hunt for you? What happened to learning skills? And yes, 440 fps is impressive, and makes longer shots more possible. It also makes longer misses and crippling more possible. Deer don't stand still, like a target. The very first deer I harvest with a bow, was with an old compound that pushed an arrow at maybe 170-180 fps max! The shot was only 25 yards, but the deer, a big doe, took a step the instant I let the arrow go! That changed the impact point, from the boiler room to the liver! We recovered that deer, but it was a real reminder of shot placement and timing!

I didn't know how to read deer body language. When they stand still for a while, watch their tail! While they are standing still, and just watching the woods, they will not was their tails. They do not want to make any movements that could give away their position. When they do wag their tail, is just before they take a step! I have seen this happen over and over and over again!

Another point is that some guys seem to think that because you hold it like a gun, a crossbow shoots like a gun! IT DOES NOT! The fastest crossbow I've been able to find is 440 fps. The slowest deer hunting firearm is a lot faster than that! About 3 times faster, meaning it's muzzle velocity is supersonic, and will initiate a mini sonic boom! Of course, the slug will arrive before the sound does.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Same thing with fishing poles! Why spend 500 to 1000 dollars for a fishing rod If you are not a tourney fisherman, where you can win your money back or you have a sponser? I can bet you that I can catch just as many fish with 100 dollar set-up ( rod and lures ) then most people can catch with there $1000's!

·
OhioPro Lure
548 Posts
Same thing with fishing poles! Why spend 500 to 1000 dollars for a fishing rod If you are not a tourney fisherman, where you can win your money back or you have a sponser? I can bet you that I can catch just as many fish with 100 dollar set-up ( rod and lures ) then most people can catch with there $1000's!
I'm a tournament guy and you don't need to spend that on rods and either to be good.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
You can spend $3k on a firearm and put it away in a safe and in 10 years get your money back if not get a little more for it but I personally have not heard of any crossbow that has increased in value over the year's.I could be wrong but I'll stand corrected if someone can show me that.Funny how marketing work's ain't it.Just my opinion.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Because it's fun! No, but seriously if you fish alot lighter poles don't wear you out by the end of day. Heavy poles are just not enjoyable after a couple hours, let alone 8.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My buddy says the same thing ,heavy rods wear me out? I am a grown man over 60 and threw for muskies the over day for over 8 hours,I told him to hit the gym.LOL.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Just because it cost more does not mean its better. Argued with friends wife since she thought paying more for a meal meant it was better. I have eaten in some real dives that had the best food. $ does not equate to quality.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Funny how the Native Americans, Pioneers, and guys like us thirty years ago didn't "need" all of this cr*p.
It's called.....HUNTING.

p.s. - I'm always miffed when guys claim that some fishing rods are too heavy. C'mon man............

·
Registered
417 Posts
Ahh, black coffee or cream and sugar. I'll take the sugar. Hand tools or air tools....

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,924 Posts
Hmmm...wonder If'n that $3-4000 bow makes them deer any more dead than my old Horton Legend. Or...maybe it makes that venison taste more like Kobe beef. :unsure:
I think that the stupidest crossbow I saw in that ad was the one that shot 2 arrows at once! Does that make the deer twice as dead? Just how many holes do you want to punch in the thing? I'm happy with 2. One going in and one coming out!

·
Registered
292 Posts
You could buy a freezer and fill it 3-4 times over,if I spent that kind of money hunting would not be fun anymore.
Been appliance shopping or to the grocery store recently...
I'd say one new freezer and one good filling with beef! I get your point though...

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Just because something is available doesn’t mean that’s what you have to buy. They’ve had $250,000 vehicles for years, is that what everyone thinks they absolutely have to have in order to be able to drive? So it’s available who cares. Still plenty of $250 crossbows on the market.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Been hunting almost 60 years now. Started out with a hand me down shotgun. Then a used recurve bow, payed 50.00 for it in the early 70;s. Did not have cammo cloths. We wore what we had. We used wooden arrows. We did our home work, we learned we hunted. We, did well. Shot pleanty of game. Them some time along the way marketing was born. Hunting became big bussness. marketing will tell you. You need this, you can not live with out it. It relly seems as though we are liveing in times, people have more money than brains.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts