close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2nd Muskie Of the Season/My Life

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Nickadams, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Nickadams

Nickadams goenfurshen

I caught another muskie at Alum again tonight. This one was much bigger than the last one. I would guess in the 8-10 lb range maybe about 30". Put up a terrific fight. Man, they are a tenacious fish. I can see why people spend so much time fishing for them. I had a brawl w/ this one on the sidewalk. I have a nice gash in my hand from trying to recover my lure :) It was a lot of fun. I am going to have to be more prepared the next time. A net would have come in very handy. Thank you to the guy who let me borrow his pliers.

2. Phil Carver

Phil Carver Team Bass Xtreme

I dont know about you Adam . Next thing we know , you will be wanting to get out of bassin and start fishin musky tourny's ! :D And by the way , I thought you were spendin all day at the sports show ? :) Glad to see that you got out and had some fun .

3. but it seems to me the last couple of years that the Muskies are plenty available on Alum for those who are chasin' bass... I even got one on a C-rig last year... No one ever told me that they like plastics!!!

In all seriousness, I think Alum is VERY underated as a Musky fishery, especially if I am catching them with regularity.

4. I think that muskies are becoming very abundant in Alum. Last year while fishing with my grandfather we caught three in a few hour span while casting for bass in some coves on Alum. All the fish were 20"-25" range.

5. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Hey guys, ide really like to finally catch a muskie....Do they bite a lot during these winter months under the dam??? Also, what do you use, something smaller than usual due to the cold water??

6. FishJunky

FishJunky AEP Tuber Association

Did you catch it below Alum??? What was the weather like??

7. Nickadams

Nickadams goenfurshen

Mushijobah, the two that I caught were on suspending jerk baits. I think that timing is probably more important than the color or size. The bigger of the to fish came off of the smaller bait, but both were aggressive bites. Baitfish colors like black/gold and black/silver are the only things that I have tried.
    Fish Junky, it was below the dam. The weather was around 40 all day Sat with a lot of sunshine, but the fish was caught the first 15 min after sundown. With all the water that was let out in the last couple weeks I am sure there have been more fish than usual swimming through the area (not just muskies). The water is now lower and the fish seem to be active for the time being.
    I am going to go again sometime this week. Hopefully I will enjoy this same success.

8. catking

catking Banned

We have a new muskie man on the site !!! Good going Adam :) .THE CATKING !!! ( nice meeting you at the show ;) )

9. Nickadams

Nickadams goenfurshen

I have just been really lucky, but now that I have caught a couple muskies I will definetly keep chasing them. They are a lot of fun. It was nice meeting you too.

10. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Was there today. It was Warm. Saw nothing caught.

11. moke11

moke11

Arrived just after dark, but no takers, but that's normal for me. I just enjoy getting outside. However, I did not see anyone else catch anything, and the water level is BELOW the infamous "top of the sidewalk" level. :)