close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2nd biggest ever

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by JimmyZ, Jul 4, 2004.

1. Went smallie fishing on the maumee yesterday and didn't do to well. Did however catch my first flat head catfish ever. We estimated it at least 25lbs. I've only caught one bigger fish and that was a king salamon on lake Ontario. 30lbs.

After he took it and was shaking my pole but not budging, I knew what I had on. I was fishing with a 6' berkley med. light rod with 6lb. test. You want to talk about nursing a fish. I was so worried he would break me off before we got him in, but we did. My heart was racing the whole time. I let him take drag as much as he wanted. Worked on him a little. He took more drag and got tired out. Started to walk towards him a little and got him onto a shallow shelf. He was released unharmed.

He was only in about 3ft of water just waiting for breakfast.
    Got him on a shad tail grub smoke and pearl with a #1 hook and 2 tiny split shot.

I'm not a big cat fisherman but this is a day I'll always remember on the river.

2. wow nice suprise. What bait/tackle were you using?

3. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Nice Flathead, bigger than anything I have caught this year!

4. JimmyZ, I was with you that day you wrestled that big old catfish in. I remember the medium light rod and the 6 lb test. But wasn't that 25 lb flathead really a 25 oz "bull"head? It seems that while you were fighting this "little monster" , you fell and hit your head on a rock. You came up acting a little strange, but still had the fish on. Quite impressive! After you brought it in, I suggested calling 911. You said no and that you were feeling fine. Besides that, you didn't want the ambulance drivers finding out where your secret flathead spot was. Well, there was a dent on your head, so I just patted you on the back and said "O.K. Jimmy". We put the little fella back in the river and went on our merry way. Give me a call, and I'll show you how I caught a 35lb flathead the next week in the very same spot. What a coincidence!

5. An great fish and an even greater accomplishment landing the it on light tackle. It sounds like you need to get some goldfish and hit this place all night.

6. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Nice fish, I mean I don't know if I could have ever gotten a 25 oz bullhead in on such light line! :p Seriously though, that is awesome!