Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wanting to start this thread as i enjoy reading about everyone's deer camp this year… That includes deer pics, food pics, and all the other good times had at deer camp! this year we split up dinner responsibilities and I drew Wednesday night dinner… Mid week… Sounds like a good steak night with baked potatoes… Finished up shopping today, i'm looking forward to it…
Cuisine Ingredient Dish Animal product Meat

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This will be my sons first year going hes 7, the age I started. Im super excited to take him. Although a different camp then when I started over 20 years ago still the tradition keeps going. Hes got his homework he has to work on before we leave Sunday.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Dang! What horrible teacher gives homework over Thanksgiving break?
Glad your son gets to come with you! Hope you guys have a great week!

·
HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins
5,574 Posts
just wanting to start this thread as i enjoy reading about everyone's deer camp this year… That includes deer pics, food pics, and all the other good times had at deer camp!

9left,,,,
I REALLY like where your going with this, but I wish that everyone would add WHERE THEIR CAMP IS LOCATED!?

When I first started hunting deer, HIGHSCHOOL days,, ('67-'68) I was invited to go UP to N central PA with a gang of friends & neighbors from the S side of Youngstown. We hunted Wykoff Run, Medix Run, Sinnemahoning River,,,all the way up above Stevensons Dam.
Wykoff Run Rd - Google Maps
Then, after highschool, I met a bunch of hunters at my sportsman club in PA. We started archery hunting the OIL CITY AREA,,,, & better yet, right down the road from the Vowinckel Hotel/ INN

After the BIG DEER KILL in PA, we gave up on PA, & 6 of us started hunting Central OHIO. Camp was right on the MUSKINGUM RIVER bank. DRESDEN.
We hunted from WILL'S CREEK down to ELLIS DAM,,,, & that's BEFORE THERE WAS A STRIP MINE. ;>)
Back then,,,, the farmers didn't know anything about deer hunting. They thought that those tracks in the mud were from feral PIGS!
lol,,,, back then,,,, I think that I was the first person around DRESDEN to EVER COOK UP A DEER,, I tied one up, on a spit rod! Every year, We all went to a huge party back in the hills. Come one- Come all. What a ball.
Now, We were given permission to HUNT DEER on all of the farms in that area.
THAT first deer cooking party, eventually, was a big mistake! THAT changed everything,,,,,,,,,,
From stolen tree stands, to farmer range wars. Outfitters showed up from NY to Michigan. HUGE BUCKS, were found floating in the swamps, with their HEADS CUT OFF! Dozens of NE Ohio Amish running deer with dogs.
That, was the end.

ANYWAY,,,, I'd absolutely LOVE to hear some hunting stories, & see some pics of deer & food,,, STORIES that COME FROM ANY OF MY OLD STOMPING GROUNDS.
MAN,,,, 'THOSE WERE THE DAYS,,,,,,' ;>)
THANKS.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Dang this thread is bittersweet. Started in ‘76 and didn’t miss but one year up until Covid. That’s going on 40 years! Same place. Same friends.

Two years ago diagnosed with autoimmune muscle disease myasthenia Gravis. Have spent almost 2 years mostly in a chair. Two weeks ago the treatments sent me to the hospital with pulmonary embolisms. Close call and just Thankful today to be here and that wasn’t time for my number to roll up. Haven’t been able to hunt or fish for two years but still hoping they will find a way to get me better. So hard as it is, I am thankful now I can still live my fishing and hunting through what I read everyday here. Keeps me going!

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
I’m 76, in spite of a bout with prostate cancer and treatments last year, I’m still relatively active, still “somewhat” strong(yard work, heating wood cutting/splitting, occasional boating/fishing, etc.)-I can still “KA“ for 2-3 hrs but with a very low libido-limited energy, I’ve stopped hunting.(Also having a wife who has come to the conclusion that ”animals, birds, waterfowl have a hard enough time just to survive and don’t need me killing them” doesn’t help much!) That said, had not a good friend, then his brother, not passed on(their heirs, non hunters, sold their shares immediately.to land speculators) who owned property in Harrison county where me, my brother, and my two sons enjoyed deer camp for nearly Forty! years, I’d probably still be going to deer camp! I also now live that “great tradition” vicariously, and eagerly looking forward to reading this thread frequently! Good times to all still participating, and keep posting your experiences! Something interesting is always happening during deer camp!😊 I’ve posted many over the years on OGF I think would be worth Searching”deer” and “c. J. stone” to find!l

·
Original OGF Staff member and owner
12,711 Posts
Like some of you here, I looked forward to Deer camp the day after Thanksgiving. We did this over 50 years. No matter if we got deer, or not, we always had the best time. A few years ago one of my brothers passed away, and medical problems and surgeries stopped me from going. Now that I’m doing much better I’d love to do it again. One of my Brothers moved to Michigan, one has cancer and the other person has dementia . So my dear camp days are over for now.
Today after thanksgiving I was thinking about deer camp. After getting ready to go for years I still think about it. I may get out a day or so just to enjoy the outdoors, but if not I’ll look forward to reading about your time spent this year.
When we started OGF years ago, we made sure to include a place to let others tell us about their hunting trips. I post several stories as did many others. I’ll enjoy more this year as well. Enjoy ,be safe and good luck to those who go.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Heading to deer camp shortly.
over the years it was family- then it turned to friends- now it’s still good friends with our kids filling in for those that are gone. They started with around 8-10 people, grew to 20-25 at a point in the late ‘80s and we’re at around 10-12 regulars.
great time to celebrate the ones passed and the ones gained.
good luck to those making the trip this year and stay safe. Hope to see some pics of the memories made.

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
exactly... That's why I started it ....I'm more interested in seeing the details of peoples deer camps, friendships, good food, the traditions that are passed on, the new generations that are carrying it on... I think we all know what deer camp is really about.... Good luck everybody .....can't wait to see some pics and stories!

·
HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins
5,574 Posts
This is getting good, already! ;>)
CJ,, SOMEHOW, SOMEWAY,, WE got to get together. (Like maybe a weekend, kicking back, 'panfishing' somewhere!)
Too much of our lives seem to have traveled the same path. Amazing.

Back to CAMP.
THESE DAYS,,,, It absolutely drives me NUTS, trying to get old friends back together,,, just for ONE DAY of fishing!
& worse yet,, getting A BUNCH OF KIDS out of the house & into the OUTDOORS!
Like Yesterday,,,,, An absolutely perfect eve to get up in a tree.
I put up 5 treestands, & build 2 moveable hunting sheds, just to get some of my friends & family out hunting together.
I asked my #1 Grandson to go out back & get up in a tree with me, just for 1-1/2 hrs,,,, before Turkey dinner. He declined. I headed out alone.
I wasn't up there for more than 20 min & here comes HIS FIRST DEER!! Right in to the food plot, standing there broadside, eating, with it's head behind a big tree, 20yds away.
NOW THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN A 'THANKS' giving to remember!!

Heading to deer camp shortly.
over the years it was family- then it turned to friends- now it’s still good friends with our kids filling in for those that are gone. They started with around 8-10 people, grew to 20-25 at a point in the late ‘80s and we’re at around 10-12 regulars. great time to celebrate the ones passed and the ones gained.
good luck to those making the trip this year and stay safe. Hope to see some pics of the memories made.
THREETEN,,,, you say that you still have "10-12 regulars"!?
WOW,,,, THAT'S AWESOME. you must have a massive HAIR-PULLING BALL with a gang at camp like that!
CONGRATS! With envy. ;>)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Like some of you here, I looked forward to Deer camp the day after Thanksgiving. We did this over 50 years. No matter if we got deer, or not, we always had the best time. A few years ago one of my brothers passed away, and medical problems and surgeries stopped me from going. Now that I’m doing much better I’d love to do it again. One of my Brothers moved to Michigan, one has cancer and the other person has dementia . So my dear camp days are over for now.
Today after thanksgiving I was thinking about deer camp. After getting ready to go for years I still think about it. I may get out a day or so just to enjoy the outdoors, but if not I’ll look forward to reading about your time spent this year.
When we started OGF years ago, we made sure to include a place to let others tell us about their hunting trips. I post several stories as did many others. I’ll enjoy more this year as well. Enjoy ,be safe and good luck to those who go.
Several things have changed. Many of us have gotten older. Another big thing is that so many are getting theirs with bows that there aren’t as many hunters or deer or deer moving come gun season now. And access is more difficult. Twenty or 30 years ago was truly the good ole days for gun season. But I would still give anything to sit in the woods all week even if I saw few deer.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I’m heading to our second generation deer camp in Hocking County for the first part of the week. The same camp has been going for decades. All of our dads and the original crew have passed on or can’t handle the hills anymore. The second generation (including me) aren’t young men anymore either, averaging late fourties’ to early 50’s in age. We started going as kids. The original owner was a family friend. He passed away and now his son (who I grew up with) owns the farm. I’m cooking venison back strap Monday night. I’ll only hunt a couple days at deer camp and then I’ll head back home to hunt with my son. We have a couple nice deer on our farm that I’m hoping one of us gets a shot at. He gets off the bus at 3:38 every day. I meet him in the garage with his coveralls and his rifle and off we go. Then Junior and I will head to my friends farm in Muskingum County to hunt Saturday and Sunday. It’s going to be a fun week hunting 3 different farms over the week.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
I’m heading to our second generation deer camp in Hocking County for the first part of the week. The same camp has been going for decades. All of our dads and the original crew have passed on or can’t handle the hills anymore. The second generation (including me) aren’t young men anymore either, averaging late fourties’ to early 50’s in age. We started going as kids. The original owner was a family friend. He passed away and now his son (who I grew up with) owns the farm. I’m cooking venison back strap Monday night. I’ll only hunt a couple days at deer camp and then I’ll head back home to hunt with my son. We have a couple nice deer on our farm that I’m hoping one of us gets a shot at. He gets off the bus at 3:38 every day. I meet him in the garage with his coveralls and his rifle and off we go. Then Junior and I will head to my friends farm in Muskingum County to hunt Saturday and Sunday. It’s going to be a fun week hunting 3 different farms over the week.
Good luck! You need any help just yell over the hills.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
I look forward to Sunday as much as Monday morning. It’s always good to meet up with old friends. Things have changed over the 28 years of hunting here. We used to fill the whole house with people. Some have died and some have purchased land and now hunt on their own property.

One guy I really miss is Wayne. Big guy on the left in the cooler. He was a beast. “Hey Wayne” was the call. He would walk in and grab a deer and lift it up onto a hook to hang in the cooler like it was nothing. Wayne put up a heck of a fight but cancer took him way too young. Great memories. He is always conversation this week.
Gesture Fun Tints and shades T-shirt Art

Good luck to everyone. Be safe and keep the traditions going.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts