Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else use standard velocity ammo or "target" ammo for small game? (I use CCI standard velocity 40 gr lead round nose ammo for both squirrel and my rabbit sniping.) I love the accuracy, and knowing the ballistics from hours of target shooting, it allows me to be a better shot. My confidence is the deciding factor, i believe.

What ammo do you guys use for target and also for hunting aspects.

I used to use hollow points for hunting. The accuracy wasn't as good, but i thought the trade was worth it for the terminal performance. With the better accuracy, head shots (which are as "terminal" as it gets) are feasible. Even the occasional boiler-room shot has enough ooomph to get the job done.

Well, lets hear it.

Huntinbull

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
For simply plinking in the back yard with the boys I buy the large boxes of Federals but they don't pack near the punch that the CCI Stingers do. I hunt the Stingers exclusively and have used them to take quite a few groundhogs as well. As you know groundhogs can be tough to drop on the spot with a 22 at times but I have planted quite a few of them out to beyond 100 yards. You can just listen to the report from Federals vs. Stingers and clearly tell that the Stingers have more punch.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I am right there with BKR....I am a huge believer in CCI Stingers. I also for plinking usually use federal. Better reliability and also seems cleaner burning than remingtons.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used to use stingers also, but never got the accuracy i wanted from them. They hit hard and the light hollow point really did a good job...when it hit what I was aiming at. Flyers were a big problem with Stingers, at least in all my rifles. Some shot them better than others but none shot them tight. Just my experience though.

When it comes to G-hogs at 100 yds, I get out the 22 mag or bigger. Haven't tried my 17HMR at those ranges on hogs but i bet it would work fine. I am a big proponent of "Use enough gun!" Never lost an animal to slight overkill, but have spent toooo much time tracking slight underkilled game. Even a groundhog deserves a quick clean death. Would you rather get shot, drag your wounded body any distance and then lie and bleed to death or be munching on a nice burger off the grill and enjoying the sunshine and then, BAM, St Peter is saying "Howdy, come on in!" ?

Not trying to flame this. Sorry, if what i typed seems harsh, but only meant as my viewpoint, not a political stance or rant.

Huntinbull

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
Yeah, I have been wanting to get a bigger rifle for groundhogs but I have not been able to convince myself to drop the cash yet for it. Someday I will do so but for now the Stingers work pretty well for me. I rarely lose them wounded even with that setup. I know that getting another gun would allow me to take longer shots. With my current setups I limit my shots to just a bit over 100 yards perhaps 120 max.

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
Oh and I have not noticed the inconsistencies that you mentioned in the Stingers but I will keep that in mind as I continue using them.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Im starting to get into rimfire again after being caught up in centerfires for so long, dont get me wrong I still love my centerfires, alot goes into centerfires when you not only talk about buying your rifle/scope combo but reloading components as well and then hrs spent at the reloading bench finding that 1 load that your rifle really likes, it was really nice to go out buy your rifle/scope setup, walk over and pick out 3 or 4 kinds of ammo fairly inexpensively and blam your shooting, back in the day I pretty much just used the Win SuperX stuff, it was used solely for plinking and not alot of effort was put into grouping or performance on game as I didnt hunt with rimfires, today my CZ 17HMR likes the Hornady V-Max, and my CZ 22LR like Augilia, I havent had a chance to work with my 22WMR yet, in the future I would like to hunt more groundhogs and squirrels with rimfires(I need to practice though;) ) there is a TON of info on everything rimfire at www.rimfirecentral.com

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Smallmouth Crazy,
You said
I havent had a chance to work with my 22WMR yet, in the future I would like to hunt more groundhogs and squirrels with rimfires(I need to practice though )

I have found the best terminal performance and accuracy from Winchester supreme 40 gr JHP ammo in all my 22 mags. Great round. I get .75 inch or better groups at 100 yards 100% of the time from every rifle I have shot these from. I have tested them in my marlin 25m bolt gun, my NEF single shot, a Marlin 922 auto, a Ruger 96m lever action and each has given me the same performance. Devastating on G-hogs and coyote out to 125 or so (clinically proven so to speak). I used to use Remington 33 gr vmax but after several non penetrating shots (basically surface wounds with no wound channel past 1") I gave up on them. Yeah they drop less over 100 yards, but if it won't kill when it gets there I don't care how fast it shoots.

Some guys use the 17hmr for groundhogs and coyote. I draw the line at G-hogs. Coyote are TOUGH animals and sometimes even the 22 mag isn't enough, so the 17 to 20 grain 17 cal is too light for my taste. I am by no means an authority, just a guy who shoots alot. Nobody has paid me to write a ballistics article yet, so keep your grains of salt handy!

Huntinbull

1 - 10 of 10 Posts