Ohio Game Fishing banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
i caught about 25 this morning at cowan, but all small!!! Where are the big ones!!!
I guess they're at CEASARS… Took a beautiful evening hike… Just getting back , the lake is still 3 feet high but the water clarity is perfect…
Plant community Plant Terrestrial plant Tree Grass

... Kept 24 nice fish… Everyone of them Chased a chartreuse 1/16 ounce jig up against the bank...:D .... God this is my favorite times of year!!

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 · (Edited)
Well my dad, my brother-in-law, and myself launched this morning at 7 AM from the north pool ramp… It sure was shaping up to be an absolutely beautiful day… But I'll tell you what, those fish made us work for it! lol.... three guys, eight hours… We left the lake at 4 PM with 30 keepers (10"+ ). Certainly no monsters today, I think the biggest fish was 11.5 "....and I was surprised, today was the first day I had to actually pick through small fish... Seemed like we'd roll up on a spot… Bang out four or five keepers and then catch nothing but 8 and 9 inch dinks. I think the whole day we only spent 20 minutes tops in each spot. we didn't have to buy any minnows though, so that was great… Everything chased a jig, I pulled a few on a jig n bobber just for funsies. however every fish we caught was consistently within 3 feet of the bank.
got home to my house just about an hour and a half ago… my dad already had his fillet knife with him so I properly served up two cold ones and we got to work...
Asphalt Table Road surface Outdoor furniture Grass

I also met a couple fellow OGF'rs today… Fishdealer was out there and we talked for a bit… I think he fared better than I did… (But he had Minnows)… Lol. If you get the chance look up "chubby fish" charters… Brian knows what he's doing on the big pond and he definitely knows what he's doing on the smaller ponds… Lol... always good to see you out there Brian!
another guy that said he recognized me and I for the life of me can't remember his name now I hope he chimes in and says hi… Super nice guy and I hope you did well today!
Another note, half the fish were females, half were males… The eggs were still fairly firm inside the fish… So I think we still got at least a couple weeks of good fishing for a shallow bite! Good luck and good fishing everybody! I will be posting again in the next few days

·
Registered
72 Posts
9left that was me that spoke with you yesterday. It is interesting that I identified you by your boat and father sitting in the front seat from all of your picks.
We had a tough day too. We caught ours shallow , in 6 feet of water , and trolling in 10 feet of water. Larger fish actually came from trolling. We casted jigs, used jigs under bobber and minnows. Ended up with 20 keepers in 8 hours of fishing. I marked a ton of fish in 10 feet of water. On my Panoptics. Half of ours had eggs too and all were firm. Hope to see you out there again. Would love to share stories sometime.
Most important, Thank- You for your Service and great posts, 😀

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
9left that was me that spoke with you yesterday. It is interesting that I identified you by your boat and father sitting in the front seat from all of your picks.
We had a tough day too. We caught ours shallow , in 6 feet of water , and trolling in 10 feet of water. Larger fish actually came from trolling. We casted jigs, used jigs under bobber and minnows. Ended up with 20 keepers in 8 hours of fishing. I marked a ton of fish in 10 feet of water. On my Panoptics. Half of ours had eggs too and all were firm. Hope to see you out there again. Would love to share stories sometime.
ravbuck! that was it! lol..... our boats were a good 60 yards apart and we were having to talk pretty loudly to hear each other… I just couldn't quite make out the name.... it was very nice to meet you out there sir! i'm actually kind of glad to hear that you had a tough time also… Lol… I thought it was going to be nonstop on fire action all day and it just wasn't...
anyways it was great to meet you and hopefully I'll be out on the lake several times next week either in boat or on foot.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
I was expecting it to be great fishing yesterday. But, I struggled (Cowan) for over 8 hours to just catch 10 @ 10" for a fish fry. Best fish came super shallow while combat fishing in the brush. Caught a couple 12"ers, but i have a self imposed slot limit.

I had a lot of "trouble" keeping these guys off my jig when I tried fishing near rather than in cover...and they almost jointed the grease when it wasn't looking good on getting enough 10" crappie.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Eat Em Up Charters
3,636 Posts
Well my dad, my brother-in-law, and myself launched this morning at 7 AM from the north pool ramp… It sure was shaping up to be an absolutely beautiful day… But I'll tell you what, those fish made us work for it! lol.... three guys, eight hours… We left the lake at 4 PM with 30 keepers (10"+ ). Certainly no monsters today, I think the biggest fish was 11.5 "....and I was surprised, today was the first day I had to actually pick through small fish... Seemed like we'd roll up on a spot… Bang out four or five keepers and then catch nothing but 8 and 9 inch dinks. I think the whole day we only spent 20 minutes tops in each spot. we didn't have to buy any minnows though, so that was great… Everything chased a jig, I pulled a few on a jig n bobber just for funsies. however every fish we caught was consistently within 3 feet of the bank.
got home to my house just about an hour and a half ago… my dad already had his fillet knife with him so I properly served up two cold ones and we got to work... View attachment 488370

I also met a couple fellow OGF'rs today… Fishdealer was out there and we talked for a bit… I think he fared better than I did… (But he had Minnows)… Lol. If you get the chance look up "chubby fish" charters… Brian knows what he's doing on the big pond and he definitely knows what he's doing on the smaller ponds… Lol... always good to see you out there Brian!
another guy that said he recognized me and I for the life of me can't remember his name now I hope he chimes in and says hi… Super nice guy and I hope you did well today!
Another note, half the fish were females, half were males… The eggs were still fairly firm inside the fish… So I think we still got at least a couple weeks of good fishing for a shallow bite! Good luck and good fishing everybody! I will be posting again in the next few days
Yep we did ok with minnows Saturday, 30 keepers and 2 nice bluegills, plus probably 40 small crappie and bass in 3 hours. I thought Saturday was going to be the day they were on fire but it wasn’t the case. That weather last week really screwed the lake up. Thursday was pretty good for us with a nice box of crappie and a bonus saugeye. Friday we did well also. We caught a decent amount of fish casting jugs, but minnows werethe key for us. We would get on a spot cast jigs and catch 4-6 fish and then nothing. Toss some minnows out and get another 6-10 fish. Friday there was a boat fishing opposite of us in a cove. They worked the bank pretty good catching 15-20 keepers and then they moved on after not catching any fish for 10 minutes. We worked our way around and didn’t have any luck on jigs there. Threw minnows out and got 20 keepers off that same bank that had already been beaten by the previous boat. Great weekend with a friend In town, my dad, and my 2.5 year old son joined us Saturday.
Water Glasses Shorts Shoe Boat

Temple Art Relief Artifact Painting

Food Grey Ingredient Cuisine Rectangle

Food Seafood Fish Ingredient Cuisine

Water Boat Watercraft Plant community Lake

Water Shorts Watercraft Sky Lake

Sky Cloud Water Eyewear Mammal

Face Glasses Sky Hand Goggles

Ravbuck- I was in the Starcraft next to Carl when you were talking to him. Good to put boats to members here on OGF.

·
Eat Em Up Charters
3,636 Posts
Also in terms of eggs in them. Thursday the eggs were really soft and ready to drop in the fish we caught. Friday we fished a different part of the lake and those fish had firmer eggs. Saturday we went back to the cove that we fished on Thursday and half of the females we caught had no eggs left in them, and the rest looked like they were going to fall out at any moment. Thursday and Friday our ratio of shorts to keepers was 4 to 1. Saturday it was 1 to 3 with a lot more small fish moving in as well as probably 8-10 4"-7" LM bass.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts