Ohio Game Fishing banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
nice flatty!!!! For the life of me I can't figure out where on Caesars Creek there is a stone pier that looks like that .. Let alone anywhere near the marina that you could see that many headlights and other lights on the opposite shore...?
Thanks! There are a few stone step areas to the left of the marina when you are facing it. Pretty much a little cove area right before the docks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Two of us kept 11out of 13 crappie last evening 10"+ fishing from the bank in 3 hours. All were caught in about 4 -6 feet of water 1.5 feet below a slip bobber using minnows. Could not get them to take the jig and bobber. 9Left- I love fishing that way also but could not make it happen last night. I am also with you that we do not keep anything under 10". It was a fun evening.

·
Registered
35 Posts
9Left, I do not have a major scoop on my method. I don't have a boat & it seems about when & where I can reach them. Yesterday, I fished for 5 hours & the fish were very scattered. I got a couple shallow pretty quick & then nothing in the 1st 30 minutes. Both fish were less than 10". I moved to another area & the same thing, 2 fish quick & then nothing for the next 30 minutes. 1 of the crappie was over 10" & 1 keeper on the stringer after an hour. That kind of describes the remaining 4 hours & had to move around a lot. I would catch a couple here & there, but never found any concentrations of more than 2 fish. After 5 hours, I had 8 10" or better crappie & threw back 5 that were in 9-10" range. I caught the saugeye along the way. I used a straight jig tied to the line & worked various depths, but almost all fish were caught @ 3-6ft when I could find them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Glad you got what you wanted on retrieved jig! I'm curious, what was your white crappie/black crappie mix today & what was length of biggest crappie? For whatever reason, I have mainly been catching white crappie (6 to 1, best guess) so far this year which is not the norm. It is usually more like 50/50 & have yet to catch a 12" or bigger this year of either type...3 males (white) & 1 female (black) that made 11.5?

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
... pretty much a mix… Half-and-half… Mostly Big whites females hit the retrieved jig in deeper water (6-8ft). The big blacks males were much shallower in 2 to 5 feet...

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
so on another note… I noticed while cleaning… The eggs are still fairly well kept together in clumps… When I squeeze the fish… The eggs did not come out… I always do this every spring to give myself a reference point of where we are at in the spawn... i'm pretty sure with next week being in the mid to high 80s… The girls are going to drop next week(at least at CEASARS CREEK anyways)… Which gives us a few more weeks of fish hanging around and some good shallow fishing!
Liquid Food Fluid Water Ingredient

behold the beauty… This is seriously my favorite time of year guys… I'm a diehard crappy guy....
Hand Finger Natural material Wood Nail

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
don't think it'll hurt a thing… I've seen it in years past… now if this water level sustained for a couple weeks things would be different.
I went to some of my favorite spots yesterday to check them out… That lake is almost 7 feet high! this weekend should be wonderful again and next week is gonna be on fire for a shallow bite.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
I was planning on taking a sick day on Thursday. Was going to take the kayak to CC, but since it is up 7 feet, I might be better off sticking with Cowan or Acton?

41 - 60 of 75 Posts