Ohio Game Fishing banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
ok boys... got here today just after 12 PM… Set up camp… And my dad and I hit the lake for a few hours to scout... looks like it's gonna be a fun weekend! we thought the fish would be deep so we started in a few spots with quick access to 20 feet of water… Fished it for 30 minutes and nothing… Moved back into some coves… Water temp marked at 55°… Retrieved jigs and jig and bobbers were the ticket.... anywhere from 3 -10 Feet of water… I set the Jiggin Bobber to 2 feet and hammered some pigs!I .....
Water Vertebrate Boat Lake Fisherman

Fish Seafood Surface lure Rectangle Fin

Water Fisherman Fish Fishing Recreational fishing

Fluid Water Fish Tail Reptile

my dad and I fished till 5 PM and then headed in to camp..
Water Sky Water resources Boat Watercraft

for some cheddar bratwurst, baked beans, and cold beers…
Sky Plant Vehicle Tree Car

Most of the fish we caught were a prespawn and I caught more than my dad with a jig n bobber... The slower presentation worked great… My dad fared well retrieving just chartreuse twister tail… We ended up keeping 24 fish this afternoon biggest was 12.5"
Will be up early in the morning making pancakes and bacon… And then hit the lake in the morning fishing with minnows and I'm sure the afternoon bite will be on again… See you fellas tomorrow

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Colder temps this morning so we took our time, had a good breakfast and headed out around 10 AM… Another pretty decent day I'd say total we caught about 25 or so fish… Fished till 5 PM and called it a day…Kept 23. once again the kiddo had a good time… His dad (my cousin) Finally got him a nice rod and a new pflueger president reel...And he was very proficient with it this year.
Smile Water Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Outdoor recreation Plant

The overall size of the fish this year's been pretty nice… We only threw back a few fish and you know me, my boat has a 10 inch size limit. Time to head back and cook up a nice dinner and have a beer… Tomorrow morning we're going to hit the day armed with a few dozen minnows… I think we might be able to pull a few more fish… Most of everything today came on a jig and bobber set 2 feet deep tight to cover in about 6 feet of water.
Hopefully post another pretty decent day tomorrow! Tight lines fellas…
Food Seafood Fish Fish products Rectangle

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Fish Seafood Food Linens Safety glove

Today started early with heavy rains... we hung around the campsite and had a good breakfast, I made sausage egg and cheese burritos with some pastries, fruit and hot coffee... the rainlet up about 8:30 in the morning and we headed out, this time armed with several dozen bass minnows… And I'm sure glad we bought them… It was a very slow day, Again we hit the Crappies and a few feet of water very tight to cover… Bobber and minnow set 12 inches deep… We immediately pulled half dozen fish that were pushing 11 and 12 inches... And then the rain started again… we put up the cover on the boat, waited it out for an hour and then headed to a few more spots… For the life of me, I could not get a fish to chase or hit a retrieved jig today, all day… Every fish except for the two saugeye came on minnows . we randomly pulled up into the water tower Cove and I pitched a 1/16 ounce chartreuse jig next to a log and WHAM! The fight was on with my ultralight… Ended up being a 19 1/2 inch saugeye! It was my personal highlight of the trip…
Water Plant Outdoor recreation Boat Fisherman

The next highlight was the kiddo pulling in a couple slabs in a small Cove on a minnow…
Smile Water Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Outdoor recreation Plant

everything always feels right when you teach young ones how to do it… then you watch them do it on their own. Top it off he did it again, he caught his personal best saugeye on a jig… Right at 15 inches on the jig...He was super proud to be able to throw it in the live well....
Water Smile Sky Fisherman Lake

called it a day around 4 PM because we have to get headed back in ... The ride back in was special for the kiddo and his grandpa...
Smile Water Sky Cloud Boat

...it's Saturday night and the big fish fry for family is tonight… Everyone will be coming in about 6:30 PM to enjoy the fish harvest… this is when you teach the young ones to do the rest of the job… Lol… Crushing the cracker crumbs with a beer can…
Food Textile Table Cuisine Selling

... We will be headed out again early tomorrow morning armed with minnows and fishing until noon and coming back to break down camp and head home… Will report one more time tomorrow afternoon… tight lines fellas!
Food Seafood Fish Fish products Rectangle

Fish Seafood Food Linens Safety glove

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
I can't figure out why you need those hot dogs
;)
Guarantee I would've thrown some mustard on a bun and eaten one (probably two) of those dogs and bratts :) -- after a double helping of filets and tater salad)
Sure looks like Good eats, Great fun and another Great trip!
Good luck and good fishing !

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
well today was our last day so we got an early start… We were on the water at 7 AM armed to the teeth to catch crappies… I guess I still don't understand them… Lol… We caught a total of three fish from 7 AM to 1 PM. Thought for sure today's temps would've turned things on but we tried our butts off and just couldn't make it happen… Headed back at 1 PM, packed up camp and I am now home… I'll be back after them next week! Thanks everyone for following my campout post and I'll be sure to keep the thread alive with some trips next week in the boat or on foot.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
Thanks for the pics and stories it sounds like you had about as much fun as you possibly could the last couple weeks with hunting and fishing! And the kid will never forget these trips! Great job!!!
Your first camping report got me all excited to hit Hoover in Columbus. Very similar to Caesar's but a but over all shallower. Lots of steep drop off banks where I put my kayak in. Had to find some flatter banks where when the sun poked out it was pounding the bank warming up faster then surrounding areas. Happened to be the calm side to with no wind. Which helped heat it up. It's funny you mentioned yesterday you couldn't get them to eat a swimmed jig. Same here. But at the same time out of 60+ fish only a handful where up tight to cover. I had to set my jig fairly deep below a small float,cast out and as slow as I could stand it swim the bobber back(I think of the way zaraspook talks about the way he swims his jigs under a float,but maybe slower without seeing him do it). The bobber would creep left to right and they just barely sucked it in and hung on. If I let the bobber set,no bites,if I twitched it back like I normally do very few bites.
Most bites came 15-20' out in 8-10fow. They was visibly chasing shad. Only one of my fish from wood was colored up. But at the same time I seen some fry popping around super shallow as well🤷. Typical crazy Ohio springs has them all mixed up. But should make for a good long shallow bite late into the season as long as it don't start getting scorching hot to soon.

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Yeah I love catching Crappies on a 1/16 ounce retrieved chartreuse jig… Jig n bobber is also my favorite way to catch them.... For us, at least my cousin and I… The best bobber bite was twitch twitch, pause three or four seconds… Twitch twitch, pause three or four seconds. pretty much every fish hit it on the pause… And it was an extremely subtle hit… I mean, the bobber just barely bounced once, didn't even go all the way underwater… Like someone just barely flicked it or something... if he didn't set the hook you just missed the fish. The bite on the retrieved jig was good the first two days which surprised me because it was very overcast and kind of chilly air temps… But again it was very subtle… The rod just kind of got heavy and you just felt a little bit of abnormal weight .
it wasn't that beautiful "tick" you feel at the end of the rod tip when a crappy sucks it in. Anyways, I'll be headed out again on Tuesday on foot because I have the next few days off, tomorrow is dedicated to try to finish building my daughters dresser… and I will be out 2 to 3 times per week after that on foot or in my boat solo... I think the next three weeks are gonna be pretty good for a shallow bite

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Went after some Crappie last night around the marina, but all I ended up with was this monster lol! Wasn't prepared to land this guy on a crappie rig, but it was worth it! View attachment 487664
nice flatty!!!! For the life of me I can't figure out where on Caesars Creek there is a stone pier that looks like that .. Let alone anywhere near the marina that you could see that many headlights and other lights on the opposite shore...?

21 - 40 of 75 Posts