Ohio Game Fishing banner

2021 Caesars Creek Crappie

20K views 92 replies 24 participants last post by  sjwano 
#1 ·
Hey fellas! The time is here again for some spring slabs at Caesars!! I haven't been able to get out a whole lot yet but I have made two trips on foot so far… Both were fairly successful and both times I caught fish about 2 to 3 in the afternoon...
Paying attention to the temperature this year looks to be consistent with last year… Temps seem to be rising around 10 AM to noon and that's when I started catching fish both days… Mind you, I only caught maybe five fish but they were chasing a chartreuse twister tail jig in about 8 feet of water. Pretty slow retrieve on the bottom.
I will hopefully make another post later this week when I have some time and I will also post up some of the temperature graphs and mark them just like last year…

anyone else having any luck? Would love to hear it… My annual spring crappy campout is still almost 3 weeks away and I'm getting a little worried because the temperatures seem to be rising pretty quickly… I don't wanna miss it...Should be spot on at 60 to 62° in a few weeks

#5 ·
So heres the first graph ,which covers the last week or so... The trend of rising and falling temps is very very consistent over the last few days… Today should be no different and a decent bite should be around 10 AM and later ( my guess would @ 4pm for the best bite today.)..Wish I didn't have to work… Let me know if you guys do any good I will be out there in a couple days!

#9 ·
went 4-7 about 4pm till dark. In a cove south, on a bank. Got 3 quick, 2 were fat (10, 12, 12.5), 2ft deep with gunk on the surface. Missed more than I hooked.
Current was coming in. After 430 or so, the current switched and all the top gunk flowed out of the dead ends. Once the current turned out, coves cleared of surface junk the bite stopped, even the gills stopped. Guy near me had same experience

#11 ·
Ruffhunter, the lake level still reflects the winter pool drawdown levels... we haven't really had a whole Lotta rain this year yet so it's just going to come up slowly ... they've already started bringing the lake level back up though.... Even though this graph I posted below is from last year… The dates are pretty much the same every year

#13 · (Edited)
Nice job bwhntr!
My experience today was a little bit different than yours although I still had some good success… And paying attention to the last week or so… The temperatures seem to rise late morning to afternoon… I got there today around 10 AM... and I sort of knew this was going to happen… I didn't catch a darn thing for several hours...Then around 2 PM to 6 PM I did great… However, I couldn't get a fish to chase a jig for the life of me… No matter how slow I retrieved it…As soon as I switched up to the jig and Bobber set at 2 feet deep, fishing in about 3 feet of water… I started catching fish pretty consistently... I wouldn't say I caught anything impressive… Definitely nothing over 11 inches… Most fish were between nine and 10...

I would catch a dozen or so fish on the jig and bobber... and get excited and switch up to just a retrieved jig and strike out again… As soon as I switched back to a slower presentation with a bobber… It was Fish on again.

I took note of the temperatures and it was spot on in line with what I noticed last year… As soon as that temperature started rising… My success increased.

One thing I'm definitely happy to see is the cool down in the colder temperatures coming next week… I'm so afraid that this water was going to warm up super quick and we would miss a good bite for the May 1st crappie camp out weekend...I'll probably be out in the next couple days just scouting out some new spots… Good luck everybody!

#14 ·
Even the retrieve on the jig and bobber today was a super slow retrieve… Two or three twitches, pause for about 3-5 seconds… The fish would take the jig on the pause... I could confidently say that the fish are sitting in shallow water just like last year, waiting on the temperatures to rise and begin spawning. But right now the rising temperature is definitely the key to a good bite

#21 ·
yep...I also took a hike Saturday morning around 10 AM and fished for an hour and a half or so… I caught two fish on a jig and bobber, and nothing on the jig… The entire next week I would imagine will be the same with the temperatures… Unless you're fishing deep with live bait… But I really don't care for doing that...But I honestly think this is great because it'll slow things down a bit and pretty much give us the majority of May to have great fishing

#27 ·
So I took a walk this afternoon about 3:30 PM and fish for a few hours… Not a sniff… Nothing on the jig, nothing on the jig and bobber...I thought for sure today would be good seeing as the temperature rose about 5° in the afternoon… Hopefully next weeks warm-up and after that will bring on the fish… I probably could've done better if I was fishing deep but I was hoping they would still be shallow....The annual crappy campout is only 10 days away… So I will hopefully be posting then

#28 ·
..I thought for sure today would be good seeing as the temperature rose
Struggled on the river today also. Fished a section that had been producing good numbers of good fish--- caught 3 today and they were not the quality I had been seeing.

Wht/bss was slow compared to recent days also.
We'll get-em tomorrow ;)
Good luck and good fishing

#29 ·
Went on Monday around 1400hrs. I was excited for the 68 degrees but the wind sucked! Water appeared to be up a foot or so since my last visit. Stayed a couple hours in a cove. Spoke to a guy and he managed 8 but had moved around and started early. He had minnows but said they were not taking them. Went to another spot this time on the north end. Little better wind block. Noticed the chop was flowing hard north from the main lake point. Guy in my spot errrggggh. He was fishing for anything. Said he got a 14 crappie but held his arms out 3 feet to describe the fish lololol. Not a bite!

#34 ·
This warm up should be enough to put enough fish shallow that the cold front following it shouldn't effect the bite to much.
Different lake but simaler depths and water temps as C.C. I fished yesterday(hoover). It has an extremely high crappie population. I was able to find plenty of fish from 6' of water up to the banks. And only one had any spawning color to it. You guys should tear them up next week! Can't wait for the report an pics.
Have fun!

#37 ·
Watching this thread. Was at East Fork days ago for a dry run on the kayak. Crappie were biting well when I got off the lake around 4pm. Bank fisherman were catching on every cast on jig under a float. Went to Brookville yesterday for Walleye. Wind was brutal by afternoon. Lots of crappie fisherman. I could see they were spotting fish, just wouldn’t bite. I managed a walleye, a smallmouth and a crappie. Very slow bite. Very warm today, sustained 20mph wind with gusts to 30 will be murder even for a bank fisherman.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.