Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Fusion 20 Pro is equipped with a Yamaha F150 and a port mounted T9.9. Under power with a port side passenger of equal weight to me, I have a significant port side list (port side being lower) that makes me uncomfortable and disappointed, not to mention giving the starboard passenger a splash or two. I consider installed equipment to be balanced with port and starboard rear starting batteries, Terrova 80 on port side near front center and 2 centered trolling batteries, and a center livewell. Tackle and gear is either centered or a little more weight is on starboard side.

Do other Starweld Fusiion 20 owners with a port kicker have noticeable port list? Do I just need to add hydraulic or electric trim tabs and be happy? This is my only real issue with the boat other than a few pros and minor cons/bitches below:

Pro:
Nice comfortable boat in typical Lake Erie chop.
Big deep cockpit with high sides all around for Lake Erie chop and small grandchildren safety.
Easy access to stern corners for netting fish.
Full canvas set for all occasions and weather. Huge livewell if that floats your boat.
F150 runs like a dream, T9.9 is decent (better when I install my itroll control).
Vinyl floor (finally no stinking messed up cockpit floor carpeting).
It does catch walleye!

Cons/Bitches:
In dash Humminbird Helix 5 is tiny and removal is a huge pain (needs factory fix).
Center floor rod locker (gets wet) holds only 6' 6" rods (WTF!).
Captains chair with arm rests can not rotate 180 degrees to face rear (who looks forward when trolling?).
Dashboard has nowhere to mount another fishfinder (boat designers ever fish in their boat?)
General lack of significant storage, none really 100% dry.
Livewell, similar to Fishmaster 196, slops water when choppy and wets cockpit floor.
No floor drain slots at stern corners causing delayed drainage.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
When you purchased the boat did you know it came with a tiny 5 inch graph and only a 61/2' rod locker and that the rest of the boat had minimal storage

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, no and yes. I provided a review of pro/cons, not looking sympathy. I have no regrets. Great boat on erie (with needed trim Tabs).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
2,437 Posts
Good write up! We need to publicize our expectations. After I got my new Fishmaster 196 I got this letter from Starcraft asking what I liked, did not like. I took the time to give a considered assessment. Just like you did. Never heard a peep back!

My boat is a 2016. Sounds like they still don’t give a damn that the livewell leaks like crazy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
255 Posts
The steep dead rise that makes the starcrafts ride nice in the slop can also make them more prone to list when weight is not balanced or wind is blowing strong on the side. Install trim tabs- you will be amazed at the difference. A 4 blade prop might also help reduce the listing.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Remember, every boat is a compromise. :)

I slummed it with a Helix 5 on my console the first year I had my Fishhawk. The walleye didn't seem to notice or mind.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Maybe telescopic trolling rods fit?? See about moving batteries and anything else to starboard side?

·
Registered
764 Posts
I have a 2000 SC Starfire 190 and experience the same list. I have been able to mostly control it with the trim. When I experience the list, I trim up. As I trim I can slowly see a reduction of listing. It’s a finesse thing for me, I keep adjusting until I get satisfaction. It seems like getting my bow up seems to help. Perhaps it’s because the the stern is relatively flatter than the mid part of the boat.

I’ve also noticed that my bearing relative to the wind and current make a difference.

Adjusting the fin did nothing to assist me.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a FM196 with The Yam 150 and a port side mounted T9.9. I bought the boat used without a kicker and have fished it both with and without the kicker. The list occurred in both cases while running. While it can be exacerbated by wind and sea conditions, I think that the list is caused by prop torque. I intend to install trim tabs at some point, however, I can run quite well by placing the passenger in the seat behind me when i intend to run hard. The passengers weight helps to counteract the torque. Just a bit more difficult for the hole shot.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Yes, no and yes. I provided a review of pro/cons, not looking sympathy. I have no regrets. Great boat on erie (with needed trim Tabs).

Wasn't giving sympathy was curious as to why you would not look at these things before buying

·
224 Posts
I have a FM196 with The Yam 150 and a port side mounted T9.9. I bought the boat used without a kicker and have fished it both with and without the kicker. The list occurred in both cases while running. While it can be exacerbated by wind and sea conditions, I think that the list is caused by prop torque. I intend to install trim tabs at some point, however, I can run quite well by placing the passenger in the seat behind me when i intend to run hard. The passengers weight helps to counteract the torque. Just a bit more difficult for the hole shot.
X2 on prop torque

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
with the extra weight its normal for the boat to list. if your only having the problem in motion trim tabs would be my solution. but 1st i would see if i could adjust weight from the port side to the starboard side and see if that helps. i have electric tabs on my boat and love them.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
X3 on prop torque . I have a 21 ft fishmaster . Going to a Rev 4 prop helped alot but didn't completely remove it . There is no tab on my 225 optimax to adjust to counteract the motor torque .

Trim tabs seem to be the best solution . For now I just try to balance my passengers to help with the roll . Running with a empty livewell helps too .

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I haven't been boating alone yet to see if there is any stern list, but I will try a bag of sand and more tackle and the cooler on starboard side. Haven't thought about a different prop but I have heard they can help.

Reactions: Fish Tale

·
Registered
140 Posts
I haven't been boating alone yet to see if there is any stern list, but I will try a bag of sand and more tackle and the cooler on starboard side. Haven't thought about a different prop but I have heard they can help.
I never have any list fishing alone. Just when wife is with me. I had 3 choices, leave her home, tell her to lose some weight, I bought trim tabs.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Option B would yield me a lisp in addition to a list!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts