Ohio Game Fishing banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Ya'll are knocking down some real trophies.
Congrats to all!
And here I sit in the city , keep thinking the woods , but don't need bone :LOL: and in this heat to much a hassle
cool over night temps are coming next week for a good cool down on the carcus
Sure do like seeing others trophy harvest , thanks for sharing

·
Registered
16,407 Posts
GREAT BUCK!!! IMHO, I think that 8pts. are the BEST looking rack's out there.
Went to shed to get my driveway markers. Heard some rustling and this buck was staring at me for 5 minutes.. He was about 10 yards away.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Picture of one good one,(can't figure how to get from the SD card to phone or tablet )
saw an 8pt chasing yesterday thinking I might get a shot, he finally went down hill and the does got closer , so took one out for meat in the freezer , with decent Temps now,
it was cool watching the chasing while it lasted
I sure do love the lighted nocks I put on this year
Season is half over for me now :cautious:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Saw deer just not the right one. Two identical 4pts. One made an attempt at a scrape. Havent seen ANY rubs. Small 6pt hounding a doe. Couple of fawns too. Tic Tok —.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
337 Posts
I hunted all last week in the heat and saw some good chasing . I also saw two nice bucks very big one was close but was walking fast and would not stop . I tried grunting and never looked up. Every day i had nice looking smaller bucks cruising. Then once the temps dropped didnt see a lot I was surprised . I did shoot a nice 8 point Friday the 13 it was exciting. Saw him out in the field cruising hit the grunt call 3 times he came in from a 100 yds stopping every few seconds to tear up trees. He was 15 yds when I released the arrow never shot one that close. I thought my shot was back to far when i saw it hit he ran a few yards then walked away with his tail tucked. So i wait till dark found my arrow and backed out. It was covered in light red blood looked like liver shot .
So got a good friend to help me track in the morning found a few drops of blood then a lot more and saw where he bed down. THen saw more blood where he got up and tried to walk but the leaves were all tore up and saw him against a tree 20 yds away. I ended up hitting the liver and a lung he only went 60 yds so glad i backed out. But while cleaning him i looked over my shoulder and saw a very nice buck just standing at the corner of the field watching us. Then he just turned around and walked away. That was one of the most exciting times i have had bow hunting for a long time. So now hopefully be able to get a doe with the bow . But still have gun season. Good luck everyone.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I hunted all last week in the heat and saw some good chasing . I also saw two nice bucks very big one was close but was walking fast and would not stop . I tried grunting and never looked up. Every day i had nice looking smaller bucks cruising. Then once the temps dropped didnt see a lot I was surprised . I did shoot a nice 8 point Friday the 13 it was exciting. Saw him out in the field cruising hit the grunt call 3 times he came in from a 100 yds stopping every few seconds to tear up trees. He was 15 yds when I released the arrow never shot one that close. I thought my shot was back to far when i saw it hit he ran a few yards then walked away with his tail tucked. So i wait till dark found my arrow and backed out. It was covered in light red blood looked like liver shot .
So got a good friend to help me track in the morning found a few drops of blood then a lot more and saw where he bed down. THen saw more blood where he got up and tried to walk but the leaves were all tore up and saw him against a tree 20 yds away. I ended up hitting the liver and a lung he only went 60 yds so glad i backed out. But while cleaning him i looked over my shoulder and saw a very nice buck just standing at the corner of the field watching us. Then he just turned around and walked away. That was one of the most exciting times i have had bow hunting for a long time. So now hopefully be able to get a doe with the bow . But still have gun season. Good luck everyone.
Awesome would love to see a photo

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Had four groups of does (2 to 3 per) come through our area in Medina County this past Saturday morning...which is not common for us...and all within an hour...also strange...only one buck to be seen (a basket 8) and he intercepted the third group from a different direction...most of these deer passed just out of range of my son's stand.

We still had some buck activity on the camera at his stand from the previous days...mostly passing through and/or munching acorns...so they were still moving around at all hours. The camera did catch a Pie Bald buck passing right behind his stand in the middle of the day on Friday. There wasn't a good image of the rack, but would guess it as a small-to-medium 6-point. I've been on this property for nearly 25 years and have never seen or heard of a Pie Bald in the area.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I have hunted pretty hard sense the beginning of November. It has been a blast. One of he best bow hunting seasons I can remember. Saw and got shots at complete giants ( clean misses ) and saw many bucks that never got on my camera. Finally did manage to make a good shot on a 125 inch 10 point yesterday, and was elated when I finally found him. No giant like I had shots at before, but a pretty 10 non the less. This is actually the 1st buck to ever do what I wanted it to do when I grunted at it. Normally they look your way, but never come in, but this one did. So I took a good shot at him at 30 yards.
Anyway, the rut is still going on. Bucks have been breeding does for sure, but also once the doe is done, well the buck gets on the move looking for another doe. That is what the buck was doing when I shot him. I had 6 does come thru my area and 15 minutes later this buck came in and got on their trail and followed it. So don't get discouraged, it only takes a few seconds for your season to take a huge turn for the better.
I saw more shooter bucks this year then I have in quite awhile. Retirement has been awesome so far. lol

81 - 100 of 104 Posts