Ohio Game Fishing banner

21 - 40 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Had a nice 2 1/2 yo chasing a doe hard yesterday morning, I could hear them running and him grunting coming through the woods, he stopped 15 yards in front of me and he was panting hard and I could see the steam coming out of his mouth, then he was off running and grunting behind her again.
just before sundown had a nice 3 1/2 yo buck moving very slowly through the woods, he was in no hurry the go out in the hay field where a doe an button buck were feeding, after watching them for 5 minuets he went out and sniffed the doe and started feeding with them. this was Tuscarawas county

·
Me fail english? That's unpossible.
1,625 Posts
Left work early. Walked a different route to my tree to play the wind. Wind was 12mph wsw. Was set up and hanging by 1530. About 1645 I see a deer coming from the north, it was a doe with 4 more following. They came within 40 and started circling se. when the first doe got directly down wind of me she stopped dead in tracks and the rest followed suit. Every thing froze still for about 15-20 min. She didn’t snort or stomp, then without any notice she took off heading nw. I assumed she caught wind of me. About 5 min later I hear a leaf rustle behind me from the south. I assumed it was a squirrel or possum. Instead it was a beautiful 10 point looking directly at me about 25-30 yd. To much brush no shot. He started circling around me to the nw coming in as close as 20. Still too much brush. He was getting ready to cross a trail and give me a very short small opportunity not in the best position. I drew back, he didn’t notice, a got aligned, but it was too late he was already across the trail and in more brush so I undrew. He didn’t seem to care about me he was focused on one thing. So I watched him slowly head in the direction the does took off in. It was so heartbreaking it brought a tear to my eye but it was a cool experience non the less. I thanked God for the experience and waited till I knew they was gone and out of sight ( by witch time it was time to get down anyways). So close yet so far. It’s starting, but not sure if this warm front is going to slow the day movement. 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Late to post . But Sat and Sunday morning I saw the same big deer locked down with the same doe . A150ish deer that was short tines otherwise he'd be really big .

On both those morning I also saw 8-12 does/fawns . A couple times they had smaller bucks trailing a ways behind .

Yesterday morning I hunted the same spot hoping to see that big one but no luck. Saw several groups of does . ..

This morning I hunted a different area and saw 4 bucks solo cruisers . One was a pretty good one I passed . But probably shouldn't have.

Had a smallbuck walk under me while typing this
IMG_20201103_075308980.jpg

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
What do you guys think I gotta decide if I wanna go back to work the rest of week with hot weather and take off back half next week instead?
The temps are going to be a little above normal.IMHO, it's not gonna be a scorcher,of what I've seen it's supposed to be in the 60's.I alway's felt that the rut is the rut and if a "perfumed" doe is walking around then I don't care what the temp is if a buck get's a whiff I don't care if it's 80* he'll be right with her.Tuff decision but you got this week and next week.Good Luck with what ever you choose either way you'll still be out there.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
What do you guys think I gotta decide if I wanna go back to work the rest of week with hot weather and take off back half next week instead?
I’m off the next couple weeks. I’m not liking my chances this week. Yes a hot doe will attract many bucks but those aren’t the ones I’m after. Once a buck is with a hot doe that buck is very hard to kill. I’m after the ones that are out cruising, searching for a hot doe. In my opinion most searching will be done under the cover of darkness for the next week. This is when my morning setups come into play the most. It’s still comfortable for them early in the morning and might catch one getting back to bed later than normal.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I hate hunting lockdown worse than I hate hunting warm temps . That said by the time we get thru these warm temps most big deer will be locked down .

I'm gonna grind it out over the upcoming days and return to work Monday . I'll take some time off hunting and start at it again when I feel like we're pushing out of lockdown .

You can kill one anytime from here on out . But I can't hunt every day so I try to hunt on the days I feel that I have my best chances at a big deer .

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
How early are you guys getting out in the morning?
This morning I was settled in at 6:15. Normally 15-20 minutes before legal light for me. Sometimes depending on the stand I might slip in when it’s light enough to see if there’s anything in the fields between my truck and stand. That’s one of the many reasons I love having standing corn. So much easier to slip in undetected in the mornings.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
What time varies depending on the stand . I can't guess based on what others are hunting .
But I usually try to hunt timber away from feeding areas for my morning hunts now during rut . So Because of this I usually wait and try to slip in with a little lite to be quiet.

Your situation may require a different approach.

21 - 40 of 104 Posts