Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know everyone has their own opinion on when the rut starts and what affects it. Starting this thread so everyone can update one another on rut activity in their area. I’m taking off either 7 days sometime between 1-14, any suggestions? It looks warm for first week but moon phase looks like first week could be good. Madison and union county border. I’ll keep everyone updated in the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I had over 20 yrs. in Ravenna Arsenal and you can count on it that the last week of Oct. the buck's are starting to get GOOFY! I'm not saying that they're breeding but rest assured they are looking and sparing.I know that there's these so called "magic" day's coming in Nov. but I wouldn't miss being in the stand this week if the weather is right and for some reason drizzly cool day's like today can be very good.Just my humble opinion for what it's worth.Good Luck out there and don't run 'em over.Starting to see them here in Independence sniffin' and chasin'.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Driving home from runnin the beagle and just saw a 140 inch 8 point have 2 does in a small thicket next to the road bumping them around and have seen a bunch on facebook gettin shot the last few days

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went out with the front coming, 11 doe’s and a small buck came out and chased one around a while, but you could tell he didn’t want it that bad. Good to see all the doe’s though!

·
Registered
936 Posts
im thinking better be in the woods this weekend, took my dog for a walk this afternoon at plx state park and something caught my dogs attention. looked over and there was a buck and a doe watching us as we walked by, did a loop and walked back that way and caught them bedded down together......gentlemen start your engines its on

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Very nice buck! What in the heck did he use?? Looks like a tomahawk. WOW! Bet he had no problems tracking that baby. Looks like a main frame 8 pt. definitely my favorite.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Thursday evening saw a mature 9pt standing in the middle of a bean field over a bedded doe. Watched him for over 2 hours. 3 different bucks tried taking the doe and he ran them off. One got rammed in the side. Yesterday saw 8 different bucks while hunting, all cruising at a trot. Nothing mature tho.
77FD8425-3836-4515-AF7A-786776B54972.jpeg

·
"My grace is sufficient for you"
11,886 Posts
Worked yesterday morning.
Making rounds right at daybreak and had three doe cross the road left to right in front of me on a two lane going through woods. Had to hit brakes hard as they were in a hurry. Stopped and standing on the left side of road was a really nice 9pt. Even with me stopped and him no more than 10ft from truck door, he stood there and was more interested in the doe that had stopped on right side of road than me. I actually rolled window down watching him frantically and repeatedly glance at me...then at his doe.
He finally ran down road about another 10ft and crossed in front of me.
Any other time of year...there's no doubt that same buck would have never made the same decisions as far as standing that close to a stopped vehicle and then crossing in front of it. He would have immediately spun and got outta Dodge.:LOL:

·
Me fail english? That's unpossible.
1,542 Posts
Was in the tree last night, had one small 4 point walk in, but he sure walked in like he owned the place 🤣. He finally walked off and I was hoping something bigger was following, but nothing came and it got too dark. Went out this morning and didn’t see anything. This colder air is nice, supposed to be windy tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Hit a reliable woods this morning, nothing! Hunted across the road from yesterday’s evening hunt and was depressed by the lack of buck sign. About 4 o’clock had a young 8 start chasing a doe all around me for about 15 minutes before they disappeared to the south. Around 6 a really promising 2yo 10pt came cruising in and when he came across the path the buck and doe left on earlier he trotted off with his nose to the ground. She might’ve been close to coming in. I’m sure if she was fully in there would’ve been more buck activity after her.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Saw some hard chasing yesterday, watched 2 does with yearlings at the feeder for awhile , left then one came back was thinking about taking her , but she walked off and never gave a good shot after she left the feeder..... same ones been hanging around ..... with rut starting hate taking the does that might bring the bucks by , plus don't like witnesses:LOL: prefer singles if possible, only second sit ,was fun watching them 18yrds or even closer at times till they grazed off on natural forest food
Planning on hitting it hard after Tuesday

About 50 yard picture, didn't want to take any when they were at the feeder

IMHO,I think this is the worst time to harvest a doe,you never know what one will bring Mr Monarch with her.
I would have to agree if your a head hunter , for me it's meat, and favorable weather (temps) for taking care of the carcus ( I have my tricks) if I can get a overnight carcus cool down , so afternoon harvest in most cases is preferred, with a cold night , my harvest condition

1 - 20 of 104 Posts