close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2017 Hit listers

Discussion in 'Bucks and Does' started by FISHAHOLIC85, Jul 10, 2017.

1. buckeyebowman

buckeyebowman On the back 9 and loving it!

No problem! There's lots of places in Indiana that look like NW OH. Flat, glaciated land with BIG crop fields and scattered wood lots. There may not be a ton of deer living there (although your pics might lead one to believe otherwise), but the ones that do are very well fed!

My biggest, fattest, best tasting deer always have come off of farms!

2. First hard horn picture I've got. ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1504810442.126455.jpg

3. buckeyebowman

Oh! Interesting pic. Even more interesting is the buck still in velvet right behind him!

Jeez! He looks like a 55 gallon drum with legs!

4. I think we got a new kid in town. 123_1.jpeg

5. buckeyebowman

Yeah! Crappiedude, what a gorgeous buck! And a great pic of him to boot. I'm not real good at this, but looking at his body I'd guess him to be 4.5 years old. A little sag in the paunch, but no swayback yet. No "brahma bull" hump over the shoulders. The neck doesn't quite make a straight line into the brisket, but the hind legs above the hock are pretty thick. He's a mature buck.

But then, this is a pic from late August. Hope you can get a pic of him close to the rut. Or nail him! He just might swell up and get all juicy looking! Ever seen him before?

jw42 likes this.
  6. Maybe...see post #48 from 8/25. That pic was from a few weeks earlier and is about 200 yards away (below) from this site. That pic isn't so good but it could be the same deer. This new area is super thick and we've been in here twice this year just cutting out some of the undergrowth for a stand we are relocating from about 40/50 yards south of here. My buddy has be complaining that the deer are on top of him in the old stand before he ever sees them and he get busted trying to move on them. This whole section of farm (25-30 acres) is an overgrown hillside of honeysuckle, spice bush and Russian olive.
    I mostly hunt the other side of the farm so I'm hoping my buddy kills this one. We're aren't purest when it comes to big deer but we try to mostly kill 8's or better. I passed a 9 point with a drop time 2 years ago at 5 yards...now I'd really like to see that guy again.

7. bobk

bobk

Looks like the same darn nice buck to me.

fastwater and crappiedude like this.
  8. Yep...if that's not the same buck it's his twin.

crappiedude likes this.
  9. Here is how mine ended up . Thought tall brow buck would have put more on since mid June .

Attached Files:

bobk, Mitch b and fastwater like this.
  10. You guys are making me jealous I wish I had somewhere close to home I could hunt with deer like these. I do not get to spend enough time in areas with large bucks to actually get a chance at one. Good luck to everyone this seadon

11. buckeyebowman

Well, people get all freaked when they see the pics in velvet. It seems to add a lot of mass which just isn't there when they rub it off.

12. Here's picture from June 18th and one from last year with broken g3 . Just thought he would have been bigger . Don't get me wrong he's a good mature deer .

Attached Files:

fastwater likes this.
  13. From June 18....good thing is he still has two months to grow yet

14. buckeyebowman

Man! Those brow tines are just daggers!

15. That buck there is gonna be a rut killer. I would try to get him out of my deer herd before late October if at all possible. Long brow bucks and bucks that are stunted and stay spikers for their entire life (killed a spike buck in wv over 200lb with no teeth left guessing at least 7-8 yr old) are notorious for impaling bigger bucks when they lock up in the rut. I don't know your area but I'm sure there are better genetics walking around somewhere close. I'd take him for the sake of a better future.

16. ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1506080964.917966.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1506080995.181685.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1506081018.141412.jpg

Ours usually don't start showing up on cam until mid October. Had a decent one nothing special make an appearance early September and just small ones since. Would like to see if the one from January made it through the last few days of bow season and this year. Should be a pretty nice one this year. Although I'm not a horn hunter so any decent buck that presents me a shot will be a candidate for a dirt nap.

crappiedude and fastwater like this.
  17. catch

catch Starcraft 196

20170914_141540.jpg 20170914_141423.jpg

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017