Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been on this forum for 9 years and I must say: More reports of big smallies have come in this year than any other year.

Why? Are the fruits of catch-and-release beginning to show? Are we (myself not included) getting better at catching them? Are anglers becoming less tight-lipped? Are better smallmouth anglers joining this forum? Are big smallmouth just wanting to make us happy?

Does anybody have any thoughts on the subject?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think catch and release has alot to do with it. Im also wondering with the economy being what it is kayaks and wading are getting more popular. Alot more people are targeting smallmouth and giving more information on location and lure selection. I maybe wrong. Just my thoughts on it.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I know for myself time on the water can't be stressed enough. You can learn a lot from all the cool cats on OGF but putting it all together out on the water takes time and practice as well as trial and error. I've notice I've been picking out larger smallmouth than before from holes I've fished many times by only making a few adjustments in timing, presentation and better understanding SMB behavior. I've learned a lot and I continue to learn more each time out. I don't think there's much else that I find more rewarding than patterning a big smallmouth bite.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
129 Posts
notice tho that there are almost no pics of six and seven pound largemouths out of farmponds this year? whats up with that?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Overall, there have been some really good numbers on here. The weird thing about this year is the lack of 20 inchers. There hasn't been a single FO smallie reported out of the LMR. There was one absolute monster FO caught out of a creek and one reported for the GMR that was unconfirmed. By this time last year, there were multiple 20s on here.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Overall, there have been some really good numbers on here. The weird thing about this year is the lack of 20 inchers. There hasn't been a single FO smallie reported out of the LMR. There was one absolute monster FO caught out of a creek and one reported for the GMR that was unconfirmed. By this time last year, there were multiple 20s on here.

well......we did lose quetico mike somewhere along the way last year! So im sure that accounts for at least a dozen or so 20" fish reports!lol!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
well......we did lose quetico mike somewhere along the way last year! So im sure that accounts for at least a dozen or so 20" fish reports!lol!
QM certainly posted several 20's but smallmouth bass are creatures of habit meaning that there is a great chance that he repeatedly caught many of the same fish.
I am in no way saying that he was incapable of catching champion quality smallmouth.

·
Annyong!
1,461 Posts
My theory is much the same as it is on a lot of the other "new" problems, or issues that pop up on the news. It's not necessarily a new phenomenon, things just get covered more and reported on more.

The number of people on this website I'm sure has increased a lot in 9 years. The cost of digital cameras has dropped along with there size, cell phones are basically computers in your pocket that can take the picture and upload it.

I'm sure that, along with all the other things mentioned; have contributed to the increase.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is bad that we lost him. I always enjoyed his reports. The man can catch fish.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
My theory is much the same as it is on a lot of the other "new" problems, or issues that pop up on the news. It's not necessarily a new phenomenon, things just get covered more and reported on more.

The number of people on this website I'm sure has increased a lot in 9 years. The cost of digital cameras has dropped along with there size, cell phones are basically computers in your pocket that can take the picture and upload it.

I'm sure that, along with all the other things mentioned; have contributed to the increase.

Just my 2 cents.
True True True, solid theory Delta!

Also, I'm sure there's plenty guys out there nailing them that have zero interest in the world wide web that account for much more big fish too that we'll never hear about.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
QM certainly posted several 20's but smallmouth bass are creatures of habit meaning that there is a great chance that he repeatedly caught many of the same fish.
I am in no way saying that he was incapable of catching champion quality smallmouth.

yea i agree 100% with that coangler..i know for sure that i have caught some of the same nice fish more than once this year.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I dont want to brag, but I hope to add to the Big Smallmouth epidemic this weekend. I will be hitting two highly lucrative spots.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts